help > Loading large image data using V3D on Windows
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts
Display:
Results per page:
Feb 15, 2011  02:02 AM | Cheng Yan
Loading large image data using V3D on Windows
I packed a image series into a TIFF(a little bigger than 2G) with ImageJ, and then tried to open it in V3D on Windows, but V3D shows there is just 1 slice in the TIFF file, but in fact, there are many slices in the TIFF file.
I also tried the options of using mylib when loading image file of bigger than 2G, but it also failed.

And then I decrease the number of image series, repeat the above procedure(the size of the TIFF file < 2G), the V3D can recgnize the slice number correctly.

So why?
Feb 15, 2011  02:02 AM | Hanchuan Peng
RE: Loading large image data using V3D on Windows
not sure which version you are using. Assume you are using the v2.603, then you need to disable the multi-thread data IO plugin and try again.

I will be curious what happens.

Originally posted by Cheng Yan:
I packed a image series into a TIFF(a little bigger than 2G) with ImageJ, and then tried to open it in V3D on Windows, but V3D shows there is just 1 slice in the TIFF file, but in fact, there are many slices in the TIFF file.
I also tried the options of using mylib when loading image file of bigger than 2G, but it also failed.

And then I decrease the number of image series, repeat the above procedure(the size of the TIFF file < 2G), the V3D can recgnize the slice number correctly.

So why?
Feb 15, 2011  04:02 AM | Cheng Yan
Yes, I use the version of 2.603
I disable the multithread loading plugin by rename the directory, and try both the Libtiff and MyLib options to open the image.

I test two TIFF files, one > 2G, the other < 2G, the latter can be opened normally, but the former is still detected as only 1 slice.

The attackment are the normal and error printscreen of the command line when opening the two TIFF file.
Attachment: 桌面.rar
Feb 15, 2011  05:02 AM | Hanchuan Peng
you were still using the multi-thread image IO plugig in the first example.

For the second, you disabled the direct call to that plugin, but for Windows machine, the default V3D reader does not load more than 2G tif file. The MYLIB does not work for Windows yet at this moment.

If you want to read the large stack in Windows, try to use the Main Menu -> File -> Import -> Import Image Series function. If you are using 64 bit of V3D, you should be able to load data > 2G using this way.

Can you do a test and let me know the result?

Or you can use other versions of V3D for different operating systems, such as Linux or Mac.
Feb 15, 2011  05:02 AM | Cheng Yan
I have tried as your suggestion that I use the Main Menu -> File -> Import - > 
Import Image Series function to open the image series more than 2G successfully.

So the problem is like what you say, the defaust Libtiff and MyLib don't support loading more than 2G TIFF file for Windows machine. 

Do you have some solutions for this problem if I want to develop in Windows platform?
Feb 15, 2011  02:02 PM | Hanchuan Peng
two solutions:

(1) use V3D's .raw file format which supports extremely big files. You can always save a file to the raw format using V3D on other platforms, or using the importing function and then save, or use the Matlab toolbox. Its format is indeed very simple. BTW, read/write V3D's raw file is about 10 times faster than TIF format.

(2) wait for a while as we adding large TIF file support in Windows. Hope this will be released in the next major upgrade.

Import Image Series function to open the image series more than 2G successfully.

So the problem is like what you say, the defaust Libtiff and MyLib don't support loading more than 2G TIFF file for Windows machine. 

Do you have some solutions for this problem if I want to develop in Windows platform?
Feb 15, 2011  07:02 PM | Hanchuan Peng
I have now used the libtiff 4.0 which should have a better support on large file. Need further test on windows.
Originally posted by Hanchuan Peng:
two solutions:

(1) use V3D's .raw file format which supports extremely big files. You can always save a file to the raw format using V3D on other platforms, or using the importing function and then save, or use the Matlab toolbox. Its format is indeed very simple. BTW, read/write V3D's raw file is about 10 times faster than TIF format.

(2) wait for a while as we adding large TIF file support in Windows. Hope this will be released in the next major upgrade.

Feb 17, 2011  01:02 AM | Cheng Yan
thank you for your sincerely reply and help. I'll also test LIBTIFF 4.0 in my application
Mar 28, 2017  03:03 PM | marionac
Hello,

I am currently facing with exactly the same problem that you mentioned: I can't load TIFF files larger than 2GB in Vaa3D using a Windows machine.
Do you know if this is solved by now? And if yes, could you explain me how this is done?

Thank you very much,
-Mariona
Mar 28, 2017  04:03 PM | Zhi Zhou
IT seems your tiff file is a compressed Bgtif fie, which is not supported by our current released version. At this moment, you may have to use other
tools,e.g.Fiji to save the image in a single 3D v3draw/raw file, or 2D image series. And then use Vaa3D to load the 3D v3draw/raw file or import 2D image series by using the "Import general image series to an image stack" option.
Mar 28, 2017  04:03 PM | marionac
Yes, I tried and works for me.

Thanks!
-Mariona