help > mask cerebellum from analysis
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts
Display:
Results per page:
Apr 19, 2017  09:04 PM | Jennifer Siegel - University of Edinburgh
mask cerebellum from analysis
I am trying to exclude the cerebellum from my seed-to-voxel analysis.  My main question is there a simple way to create a mask like the default mask without the cerebellum in it but that still included white matter sections.

I have done the followed the steps as per a previous post on Conn (https://www.nitrc.org/forum/forum.php?th...) to remove the cerebellum from the analysis...

In image calc in SPM, I input the following options...

input images: conn/utils/surf/mask.volume.brainmask.nii and conn/rois/atlas.nii

expression: 1.*(i2<107)

This works amazingly well.

However, my the original mask (mask.volume.brainmask.nii) contains white matter while my new one doesn\'t.  I have attached images of the default and new mask below.

I reran with the new mask.  I notice two things.

Firstly, my clusters are much more defined.

Secondly, I notice that several of my significant results are no longer significant.

I ran across the following post in which someone asked about why the default mask contains white matter, but no one has gotten back about the question.  Is this likely a reason why many of my clusters do not come through with my cerebellum and white matter free mask?...

\"it seems possible that activations could extend into the WM, and a GM-WM mask might capture this cluster, whereas a GM-only mask might cut off the WM section, preventing it from passing threshold.\"

http://www.nitrc.org/forum/message.php?m...

Is there a simple way to create a version of the default mask which simply removes the cerebellum but still includes white matter?

Thanks again,

Jennifer
Attachment: Mask.docx
May 3, 2017  08:05 PM | Jennifer Siegel - University of Edinburgh
RE: mask cerebellum from analysis
I've just edited my above question, just wondering if anyone has any experience with masks?  

Thanks again, 

Jen
May 5, 2017  08:05 PM | Jennifer Siegel - University of Edinburgh
RE: mask cerebellum from analysis
Just for future reference, if anyone ever has a similar problem...

I did the following equation in imagcalc

i1.*(i2<107)

This removed the cerebellar GM from the mask.  I then had to go into Brainsuite to manually remove included cerebellar WM and any other parts that looked odd (they have a tool called "mask tool" in which you can alter a mask).  I saved my altered image as a .nii file and opened it in SPM.  This new mask file wasn't binary (all the white parts of the image were large numbers, but the black parts were 0).  Therefore, I just had to change the image into binary in image calc by typing in i1 > 0.  Then I had a updated binary image which excluded GM and WM cerebellum.  

There is probably a much easier way to do this, but this is the long way around the solution.  

Jen