help > APP2 and UltraTracer for 2D?
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts
Display:
Results per page:
May 4, 2017  10:05 PM | Juanita Mathews - Tufts University
APP2 and UltraTracer for 2D?
Hi all,

I'm new to tracing neurites and I have a bunch of data with spinal cord explants on muscle cells.  The images are 2D tiled images that have a lot of uneven background and some really faint neurites.  No matter how I process them, I'm not able to get all the neurites in the image.  Do you have suggestions for how I can use 3D programs like APP2 and UltraTracer for 2D?  Do the algorithms automatically look for z-stacks?  Can that be overcome?

Thank you for your help,

Juanita
May 4, 2017  10:05 PM | Zhi Zhou
RE: APP2 and UltraTracer for 2D?
Can you provide one example image for us to check first? Thanks.

Zhi
May 4, 2017  10:05 PM | Zhi Zhou
By the way, UltraTracer with base tracer APP2 can trace large-scale 2D images directly. However, if the background is uneven, the image may need per-processing.
May 4, 2017  10:05 PM | Hanchuan Peng
Use the adaptive automatic thersholding (a plugin in vaa3d) to try first ....

Originally posted by Zhi Zhou:
By the way, UltraTracer with base tracer APP2 can trace large-scale 2D images directly. However, if the background is uneven, the image may need per-processing.
May 5, 2017  02:05 PM | Juanita Mathews - Tufts University
Here is an example image.
May 5, 2017  08:05 PM | Zhi Zhou
I have checked the image. Here are my suggestions:
1. You don't have to use Ultratracer. APP2 should be able to handle this image directly.
2. Before running APP2, try to use our "anisotropic filer" plugin to pre-process the image first. The plugin is under "Plug-in" --> "Image_filer" --> "anisotropic_filter" --> "anisodiff_general".
3. Try different thresholds in APP2 to obtain better results.
4. If signals are fragmented, it may hard to trace automatically. Instead, you can use Vaa3D Virtual finger function to semi-automatically trace these structures.  Here is one related paper for your reference (https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms53...).

Hope it helps.

Zhi