help > RE: clarification reg' confounds
Sep 3, 2015  01:09 AM | Alfonso Nieto-Castanon - Boston University
RE: clarification reg' confounds
Dear Liron

Regarding the 'effect of rest' covariate, if you plot its timecourse you will see it basically contains a small ramp at the beginning of the scan. For resting-state analyses it is perfectly fine not to include this effect as part of your modeled potential confounds (but, on the other hand, some times doing so may protect you against some potential ramping effects in your data -e.g. if you have not already removed the first few scans from your acquisition-). See this thread (http://www.nitrc.org/forum/message.php?m...) for a bit more information. 

Regarding your second question, I am not sure I understand your question correctly. Just to clarify, the aCompCor procedure, as defined in the original Behzadi paper, involves regressing out noise components estimated from the White matter and CSF regions, which is done simultaneously in a single regression model also removing any other standard nuisance parameters that one would typically use to characterize the BOLD signal (e.g. task, realignment, detrending, etc.). If you leave the 'White matter' and 'CSF' effects in the 'confounds' list, that will regress-out those components from the BOLD signal (any effect that you include int he 'confounds' list will be regressed-out from the BOLD signal). If you are not including the movement parameters there because your data has already been denoised using different software, that is typically perfectly fine (but there may be some issues with this approach such as the regBP vs. BPreg issues discussed in Hallquist's "the nuisance of nuisance regression" paper)

Hope this helps
Alfonso

Originally posted by L R:
Dear Alfonso 

I have a couple of question regarding confounds. First, one of the default confounds is 'condition convolved with hrf'. What is the meaning of this when analyzing resting-state only results? 

Second, I understand from the documentation that "aCompCor is implemented by populating the Confound list in the 'Preprocessing' tab with: 1) White matter and CSF effects ; 2) Main session- or task- effects (for task-related analyses), and their first temporal derivatives; and 3) realignment parameters and other first-level covariates."   If my confound list consists only of white matter, CSF and "effect of rest", does that mean aCompCor is not run?

Thank you very much for your help!!

Liron.

Threaded View

TitleAuthorDate
L R Sep 3, 2015
RE: clarification reg' confounds
Alfonso Nieto-Castanon Sep 3, 2015
L R Sep 5, 2015
Alfonso Nieto-Castanon Sep 5, 2015
L R Sep 9, 2015