help > RE: Compcor threshold
Oct 5, 2015  07:10 PM | Alfonso Nieto-Castanon - Boston University
RE: Compcor threshold
Hi SG,

Thank you for the very detailed and informative analyses!! I am happy to see that those results seem consistent with our original observations of very little effect of the choice of threshold value on the aCompCor results. I am also unsure what to make of the global-signal-regression interactions, was the global signal extracted from >.99 gray matter voxels in both cases or from different masks? In both cases it seems that global-signal-regression drastically affects the distribution of voxel-to-voxel correlation values, which would be consistent with Murphy et al. concerns, but (assuming that we were using the same gray-matter mask in both cases) I am finding the specific differences (.25 vs. .37 in the KS normality test) depending on the choice of mask threshold hard to interpret (if it was related to "contamination" of the .5 White/CSF mask with gray matter voxels I would perhaps expect a difference in the opposite direction, with a larger effect in the .5 case -more contamination- compared to the .99 case -less contamination-). 

In any way, again thank you very much for the detailed analyses/reports, and would you mind if I "borrow/copy" some of your analyses&display ideas to add to CONN's Denoising plots (to give a more detailed picture of the effect of denoising beyond the current histogram display report)?

Thanks
Alfonso
Originally posted by Seung-Goo Kim:
Hi Alfonso,

This is my-own follow-up. Actually I created a matlab script that shows how the signal changes by additionally adding more regressors into the design matrix for denoising.

In the attached image, the results with the threshold of 0.55 (left) and 0.99 (right) were compared with distribution of correlation coefficients (upper) and standardized timeseries and correlation map of a single slice (lower). The timeseries were standardized using Z-score only to see changes from signed values (residuals) instead of percentage of change. I still agree with you on the risk of misleading in using Z-score for timeseires; an isolated Z-value (even if it's high or low) doesn't mean much here. Instead, the question is whether or not there is a globally (over all voxels) synchronized (and also synchronized with the head motion estimation) and abrupt perturbation, which is highly likely due to head motion. 

Although I bit surprising, the threshold for WM/CSF voxels did not make a huge difference by adding the WM/CSF regressors, but thus increased p-value (or goodness-of-fit) of K-S test, i.e., it made the distribution of correlation coefficients more Gaussian after the denoising regression with global signal (from 0.25 to 0.37).

I guess that's probably because low threshold definition of WM and CSF includes some effects from GM voxels, thus along with the GM mean signal the collinearity, CompCor regressors with low threshold would decreased. Although I don't know how exactly it affected.

But without inclusion of global signal, the difference was very small; next to negligible, I'd say.

Best,

Threaded View

TitleAuthorDate
Seung-Goo Kim Sep 16, 2015
Alfonso Nieto-Castanon Sep 18, 2015
Seung-Goo Kim Sep 18, 2015
Alfonso Nieto-Castanon Sep 18, 2015
frogfeet Apr 25, 2019
Seung-Goo Kim Sep 23, 2015
Alfonso Nieto-Castanon Sep 26, 2015
Seung-Goo Kim Sep 26, 2015
Seung-Goo Kim Oct 1, 2015