help > RE: "effect of rest": what can results mean?
Sep 28, 2016  08:09 AM | Alfonso Nieto-Castanon - Boston University
RE: "effect of rest": what can results mean?
Dear Thierry,

You may find some additional information/confirmation in these posts (http://www.nitrc.org/forum/message.php?m... , http://www.nitrc.org/forum/message.php?m... ) but, briefly, the "effect of rest" included by default during the Denoising steps, is in fact simply only removing from the BOLD timeseries a small trend at the very beginning of each scanning session. It is similar but not the same as the "session effects" modeled in first level SPM analyses. In fact those exact "session effects" regressors (a constant value across all scans in a session) are always included as part of the Denoising regression step (this has the effect of setting the average BOLD signal value from each session to zero after denoising), while the "effect of rest" (a step function convolved with the hemodynamic response function) can be included or not as part of Denoising simply by entering/removing the associated regressor from the 'Confounds' list (and when included it has the additional effect of removing any associated small ramp/trend at the beginning of each session from the BOLD timeseries after denoising).

If you have a purely resting state dataset and you are already confident that there are not ramping effects at the beginning of your sessions it is perfectly fine to remove the "effect of rest" from the 'confounds' list in the Denoising tab (and you should see in the associated plots in the right of that gui that this produces minimal to no effects in the estimated voxel-to-voxel correlation distributions) 

Hope this helps
Alfonso
Originally posted by Thierry Chaminade:
Dear Sascha,

Thanks a lot for getting back to me,

I did read something similar in the archive (msg_id=16613) but I am very skeptical it is actually the case, which is why I reposted. The effect of rest is implemented as a condition with onset 0 and duration infinite in each session. It seems very similar to the session being modelled in first level SPM analyses as the last columns of the design matrix. It seemed, from a purely algorithmic stance, that it would compute connectivity effect that run across the session irrespective of the task/condition implementation.

In addition, I am still working the old way by removing the first 3-5 scans at the onset of scanning (dummy scans) to avoid early magnetization effect. If this was made for it, I suppose there would be a clear option to remove it when not necessary...

So I am still not fully convinced that the effect of rest, implemented as an overall session effect convolved with the HRF, has something to do with issues related to early signal, and would very much like that it is instead a task-independant connectivity measure...

So, if someone who hard coded this effect into conn (it wasn't here in earlier versions) could let me know what the intention was - or just confirm if it's what has been described in the list already if it's the case - I'll be very happy to read that too!

Many thanks in advance, Thierry C.

Threaded View

TitleAuthorDate
Thierry Chaminade Sep 20, 2016
Sascha Froelich Sep 22, 2016
Thierry Chaminade Sep 22, 2016
RE: "effect of rest": what can results mean?
Alfonso Nieto-Castanon Sep 28, 2016