[Mrtrix-discussion] Minumum scan requirements for CSD

J-Donald Tournier jdtournier at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 02:48:49 PST 2014

Hi Helen,

We've been looking into this very issue here over the last year or so. We
have data acquired using a sequence that is essentially identical to what
you describe, and also using a 64 direction, b=2,500 sequence. The tracking
is improved using the higher b-value, but I'm not sure what the optimal
value actually is. In this population, it might very well be the case that
a slightly lower b-value would give enough information (the diffusion
signal is much smoother as a function of orientation in this age range than
it is in adults). For this reason, you can probably afford to lower the
b-value to some extent compared to adults, and you also don't need to
sample as densely over the sphere (i.e. you can use fewer directions). We
haven't got as far as really testing this out thoroughly, though. On the
other hand, Kerstin Pannek had an abstract on this issue (ISMRM 20: 3161;
2012), which suggested b=1,500 gave the best results. So my gut feeling is
b=1,500 or so, and as many directions as you feel comfortable with... As
long as you have at least ~30, angular sampling will be sufficient - any
further increase will essentially improve your overall SNR.

Hope this helps,
Donald.

--
*Dr J-Donald Tournier (PhD)*

*Senior Lecturer, **Biomedical Engineering*

*Division of Imaging Sciences & Biomedical EngineeringKing's College London*