[Mrtrix-discussion] SIFT: normalise to the b0 image

David Raffelt d.raffelt at brain.org.au
Tue Dec 16 19:07:13 PST 2014

Hi Romain,
Yes, that is correct, the first (ideal) approach would be to divide all DW
and B=0 images by the mean CSF. For a recent AD study I actually used the
95th percentile of voxels within a CSF mask. Just to make sure I was not
getting any PV with grey matter.

As Donald said, at typically DWI resolutions this can only be done with
elderly populations. For cohorts below 60 years I normally use the median
b=0 WM value.  As Luis suggested, you could also use the average DWI
signal. However, if your WM mask includes voxels affected by pathology (eg
a reduced DW signal), then your normalisation will be biased and you may
remove some of the effect you are looking for. The b=0 intensity can also
be affected by disease and may bias your normalisation, however our
assumption is that pathology induced changes to T2 are less severe than the
DW signal. As long as the pathology is not global, then using the median
value for normalisation means you are less likely to introduce a bias. When
computing the median you could also mask out WM regions you suspect are
affected by the disease. A good sanity check to ensure that you are not
introducing a bias is to compare the median WM value across patient groups
with a t-test (to make sure there is no difference).

We normally use N4 to estimate the bias field on the b=0 and apply it to
the DW volumes. This seems to work OK, however we don't have really severe
bias fields.

Just to follow up on what Donald mentioned regarding problems with dividing
by the voxel b=0 in voxels with CSF partial volume. This is not just an
issue for spherical deconvolution and Apparent Fibre Density, but also for
tensor FA and ADC (see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11323803).

Cheers,
Dave

On 17 December 2014 at 02:23, Luis Concha <lconcha at unam.mx> wrote:

> [...]
>> The bias is a big concern to: it is very large with 32 channel coils
>>
>> A few input on this ?
>>
>> N4 on the B0 and apply it to the DWI ? does it works well.
>>
>> Many thanks
>>
>> Romain
>>

>> Le 16/12/2014 14:00, J-Donald Tournier a écrit :
>>
>> Hi Luis,
>>
>>  Well spotted. That is one of the issues that we still don't have a
>> totally satisfactory answer for. Basically, we need an internal reference
>> intensity for each subject so that we can rescale their data to a
>> comparable scale. One approach was to use the CSF intensity, which works
>> fine when the ventricles are sufficiently large that you can get a clean
>> estimate of the CSF signal free from partial volume artefacts. While this
>> works in older subjects, it's difficult to do in younger cohorts. Another
>> approach that we use is to measure the b=0 signal within a conservative
>> white matter mask, and use the median or mean value as the reference
>> intensity. This is effect scales the data to a single, subject-specific,
>> global WM b=0 intensity, avoiding the issues introduced by voxel-wise
>> normalisation to the b=0 signal. In all cases, the primary concern is
>> whether the intensity used as a reference is affected by the condition
>> under investigation, and hence whether this step may either mask a genuine
>> effect or introduce an effect that is not present in the DW data itself. My
>> guess is that the latter approach (normalisation to a subject-specific
>> global WM b=0 signal) raises the fewest concerns since it's closest to what
>> most people would naively expect anyway (i.e. normalisation to the
>> voxel-wise b=0 signal).
>>
>>  Happy to hear your thoughts...
>>
>>  Cheers,
>> Donald.
>>

>> On 15 December 2014 at 23:11, Luis Concha <lconcha at unam.mx> wrote:
>>>
>>> This is a very interesting discussion, thanks Rob and Donald for the
>>> detailed answers.
>>>
>>>  Rob, you mention that for inter-subject studies you would need
>>> a) B1 field correction (presumably accomplished by N3 or N4 or similar
>>> tools), and
>>> b) inter-subject intensity normalisation.
>>>
>>>  If not using a b=0 singnal normalisation, how can we get signal units
>>> comparable between individuals?
>>>
>>>  Dr. Luis Concha
>>> Instituto de Neurobiología
>>> Laboratorio C-13
>>> UNAM, Campus Juriquilla
>>> Boulervard Juriquilla 3001
>>> Juriquilla, Querétaro.
>>> C.P. 76230
>>> México
>>> Tel (442) 2 38 10 54
>>> Fax (442) 2 38 10 46
>>> http://personal.inb.unam.mx/lconcha/
>>>
>>> On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 7:18 AM, J-Donald Tournier <jdtournier at gmail.com

>>  --
>>  *Dr J-Donald Tournier (PhD)*
>>
>>  *Senior Lecturer, **Biomedical Engineering*
>>
>> *Division of Imaging Sciences & Biomedical Engineering King's College

*David Raffelt (PhD)*
Post Doctoral Fellow

The Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health
Melbourne Brain Centre - Austin Campus
245 Burgundy Street
Heidelberg Vic 3084
Ph: +61 3 9035 7024