how_to > HOW TO use the DTI template for registration
Showing 26-32 of 32 posts
Display:
Results per page:

< Previous   1   2
Oct 21, 2015  02:10 AM | Rowena Chin - UCL
RE: HOW TO use the DTI template for registration
Hi Konstantinos,

Thanks very much for the quick and comprehensive reply.

If I understand correctly, the steps in the PDF you suggested ('HOW-TO-extract-pairs-of-GM-labels-with-connections-through-WM-ROI') aim to identify the GM regions that are connected via a WM ROI. If one were to prefer using the JHU ICBM-81 White Matter Labels (as in FSL), would this still be possible with the 256 version (as I understand the 256 version works best with DTI-TK)? I read your reply to Marcus about this and it seems that it works with the non-256 version but because the 256 version seems to be more seamless with DTI-TK, I wonder if it can still be compatible with the ICBM-81 labels.

Originally posted by Konstantinos Arfanakis:
Hi Rowena,

You are right, our HOW-TO document describing how to spatially normalize individual DTI data to the IIT Human Brain Atlas using DTI-TK describes how to register directly to the atlas and does not cover the case where a population template is first constructed and then registered to the IIT atlas. Before answering your specific questions, let me pause here to comment on the two approaches above. I tend to prefer the approach covered by our HOW-TO document. The reasons are the following. A study-specific template is theoretically most representative of the data under study and may lead to the best spatial normalization accuracy. Based on that, some users first register to a study-specific template and then register the study-specific template to the IIT atlas. However, the accuracy of spatial normalization to a study-specific template is high only when the study-specific template is carefully constructed and of high quality. Poorly constructed study-specific templates (e.g. when small number of subjects are used, or when suboptimal template-building procedures are used) are actually not representative of the individual data under study and lead to low spatial normalization accuracy. On the other hand directly registering to a high quality standardized template like the one in the IIT atlas, is shown to perform very similar to registering to a high-quality study-specific template and then registering that to the IIT atlas, and is also consistent and fast (no need to make a study-specific template). In brief, both approaches are appropriate, but if you decide to make a study-specific template first, you need to make sure that the study-specific template you are constructing is of high quality. If you cannot achieve that for whatever reason, or you don't want to worry about it, or you want to be able to compare results across studies, then register directly to the IIT atlas as shown in our HOW-TO document.
Now, in terms of your specific questions:
1) Yes, you should be able to combine the steps you mentioned with the later steps of our HOW-TO document.
2) Yes, you can perform TBSS after you have normalized to the IIT atlas. Just read the HOW-TO use the IIT atlas in TBSS document. It walks you through the steps you'll need to follow. And once you are done with your TBSS analysis in IIT space following the steps in our HOW-TO document, you can use our white matter atlas resources to help you understand your findings. For example, if you find some significant effects somewhere in white matter, you can use the "regionstat" program to give you the list of the most probable connections going through the region with the significant effects (See HOW-TO-extract-pairs-of-GM-labels-with-connections-through-WM-ROI). It does not require any tractography and is very fast. It works by interrogating our 4D white matter atlas to extract the most probable connections through your white matter ROI.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Regards,
Konstantinos
Oct 22, 2015  12:10 AM | Konstantinos Arfanakis - Illinois Institute of Technology
Hi Rowena,

I think the jhu labels are in 182 space (not 256). As a result, the output of DTI-TK using our 256 atlas will most likely not work with the jhu labels. I should mention here that you may want to take a look into the "HOW-TO-use-the-WM-atlas". The IIT white matter atlas contains four-dimensional (4D) white matter labels. This means that each white matter voxel is assigned a list of gray matter label-pairs with the most probable connections through that voxel. The reason behind the 4D labels is that multiple fiber populations often share the same voxels, and therefore white matter voxels must be given the chance to have multiple labels. If you still prefer the winner-takes-all approach (similar to the jhu approach) then you can simply use the top label in each voxel of our atlas, which means you can simply use the first volume of our 4D atlas and ignore the rest of the volumes (less likely labels). However, I recommend avoiding "winner-takes-all" white matter atlases, for the reason explained above. It is best to embrace the truth i.e. multiple connections can share the same white matter voxels, so each white matter voxel should have multiple labels.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Regards,
Konstantinos
Jan 20, 2016  05:01 AM | Rowena C - UCL
Hi Konstantinos,

Just curious: will the registration not work if I did the steps but register to the 182 space template?

Best,
Rowena

Originally posted by Konstantinos Arfanakis:
Hi Rowena,

I think the jhu labels are in 182 space (not 256). As a result, the output of DTI-TK using our 256 atlas will most likely not work with the jhu labels. I should mention here that you may want to take a look into the "HOW-TO-use-the-WM-atlas". The IIT white matter atlas contains four-dimensional (4D) white matter labels. This means that each white matter voxel is assigned a list of gray matter label-pairs with the most probable connections through that voxel. The reason behind the 4D labels is that multiple fiber populations often share the same voxels, and therefore white matter voxels must be given the chance to have multiple labels. If you still prefer the winner-takes-all approach (similar to the jhu approach) then you can simply use the top label in each voxel of our atlas, which means you can simply use the first volume of our 4D atlas and ignore the rest of the volumes (less likely labels). However, I recommend avoiding "winner-takes-all" white matter atlases, for the reason explained above. It is best to embrace the truth i.e. multiple connections can share the same white matter voxels, so each white matter voxel should have multiple labels.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Regards,
Konstantinos
Jan 21, 2016  05:01 AM | Konstantinos Arfanakis - Illinois Institute of Technology
>
Hi Rowena,

DTI-TK registration only works for a number of slices that is a power of 2. So it probably won't work.

Konstantinos

Feb 13, 2018  12:02 PM | magan
Hello!

I am following the steps in the documentation How to use the IIT Human Brain Atlas in TBSS but when I try to run ./tbss_4_prestats_iit 0.25, I encounter the following errors:

./tbss_4_prestats_iit: line 2: $'\r': command not found
./tbss_4_prestats_iit: line 70: $'\r': command not found
./tbss_4_prestats_iit: line 71: syntax error near unexpected token '$'{\r''
'/tbss_4_prestats_iit: line 71: 'Usage() {

What went wrong there and what's the solution to this?

Many thanks!
Feb 14, 2018  03:02 PM | Konstantinos Arfanakis - Illinois Institute of Technology
This is strange. It seems that there was a problem with lines 2 and 70 of the script. If you open the script in a text editor you will see that both of these lines have only the "return key" in them, and no commands. This tells me that there may be a problem with the way your operating system and shell (bash, cshell etc.) handle that part of the script. One thing I would suggest is to remove those empty lines from the script and rerun. Also, if you have access to a different computer (different operating system or different shell) you may want to try the scripts there.
I am curious to know what you find.

Konstantinos
Feb 15, 2018  10:02 AM | magan
Thanks. I was running it on linux and my colleague has pointed out that linux does not recognise \r so the end of line marker had to be changed from "\n\r" to "\n"