help > SWC File Format
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts
Display:
Results per page:
May 10, 2019  08:05 PM | Corey Elowsky - Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
SWC File Format
I am currently using Vaa3d for neuron tracing and i am noticing that the structure identifiers used in the SWC files seem to be different than those that I have encountered elsewhere. Do you have any reference documents on the Vaa3d format for SWC files?
May 11, 2019  05:05 AM | ZHANGCAN DING - Bournemouth University
RE: SWC File Format
Originally posted by Corey Elowsky:
I am currently using Vaa3d for neuron tracing and i am noticing that the structure identifiers used in the SWC files seem to be different than those that I have encountered elsewhere. Do you have any reference documents on the Vaa3d format for SWC files?

Hi Corey

The SWC file describes a graph structure. The file header is followed by one line of data for each point in the structure. Each line has the same seven fields: numbered point index (n), type denoting the specific part of the structure (soma, dendrite, axon etc. or you can define it), three-dimensional position (x,y,z), radius, and the parent point index ( -1 for root point).

For a detailed description of SWC format you could check this paper: An on-line archive of reconstructed hippocampal neurons by R.C. Cannon et al (1998) .

Best regards,
Zhangcan