help > MRIcron Access denied
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts
Display:
Results per page:
Dec 11, 2019  04:12 PM | Daria Porter
MRIcron Access denied
I am having issues with both 2019 and the 2016 versions for mricron. I downloaded the versions for linux. I cannot load any templates, SPM results, or change the color schemes. No matter what I try, I get the following error message:

Access denied.
Press OK to ignore and risk data corruption.
Press Abort to kill the program.
Dec 11, 2019  04:12 PM | Chris Rorden
RE: MRIcron Access denied
Any details about your system, e.g. if you type 'unman -a' it should reveal something about your computer. It sounds like you do not have permissions to the files you are trying to read. To test this, do things work correctly if you run MRIcron as a super-user ('su micron'). If this is your problem, you may want to download the folder as a single user and try running it as the user who downloaded the software. 

Assuming your computer has a graphics card with driver installed, you may also want to try out the more modern MRIcroGL.
Dec 11, 2019  04:12 PM | Daria Porter
Amazing! That was the issue --  if I open it as su everything works. Thanks tons!
Oct 6, 2020  04:10 PM | Kristin Sandness - University of MN
Hi there,

I'm having the same issue with MRIcroGL but on a Windows 10 education (64-bit) machine. It's a shared device, but I downloaded under my profile to my personal desktop to run (double edit: this is happening with both the fall 2019 and March 2020 version of the software).

The program had previously been working without this error message, I'm told, so I'm wondering if the network folks at the University pushed some sort of permissions change for apps.

Edit: When I log-in as an administrator (and download and run the program as an admin), I get the error 'unable to load openGL 3.3 core', and the program doesn't load.

So this may be a permissions issue, but doesn't seem to be an admin issue. Thoughts/do you know of a possible workaround here?

Thanks!

Kristin
Oct 7, 2020  12:10 PM | Chris Rorden
Try the pre-release that only requires OpenGL 2.1 (from 2006) https://github.com/rordenlab/MRIcroGL12/releases/tag/v1.2.20200707

You may also want to see if your graphics drivers can be updated, OpenGL 3.3 was released in 2009. Very old hardware may have issues with modern, high resolution images. A high-end desktop graphics card from 2009 is less powerful than the graphics card in a modern smart phone.
Oct 7, 2020  02:10 PM | Kristin Sandness - University of MN
Thanks, Chris - will do! And I'll see what options we have re the graphics card.

The odd thing is, the newer release was working on this device up until August 2020, so presumably the graphics card could handle the program prior.

Thanks again for the quick response!
Oct 7, 2020  06:10 PM | Kristin Sandness - University of MN
Update - with the older software we get the error 'unable to load openGL 2.1'. I'm guessing there's something crazy going on with our device, but if you have any insights from the software side, Chris, let me know! Thanks again -

Kristin