help > genotype-environment interaction analysis in solar
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts
Display:
Results per page:
Feb 18, 2020  12:02 PM | zhc95522
genotype-environment interaction analysis in solar
Hi solar developers,
I am a student from Department of Epidemiology, Peking university. I am trying to run a genotype-environment interaction analysis with solar. I am inspired by a paper titled "The heritable basis of gene–environment interactions in cardiometabolic traits" and intended to conduct a similar analysis. But I have difficulties in the usage of SOLAR software. I have no idea about which command I should use and how to write the code.
Do you have any suggestion or support file?
I am very thankful if you can help me out. Looking forward to your reply.

Best
Feb 19, 2020  03:02 PM | Peter Kochunov
RE: genotype-environment interaction analysis in solar
Hi,
The genotype by environment interaction modeling was coded in solar-eclipse by the authors of that paper. I would urge you to contact the authors directly. We also would be happy to share these scripts in the standard solar distribution if they are willing to share it.
Feb 20, 2020  11:02 AM | zhc95522
Thanks for your reply and I have contacted the author.
There is another question I encountered in heritability analysis. I have done a heritability estimation of height adjusting for sex, age, age square, and their interaction. The result was that the heritability estimation of height was 0.612 and the covariates explained 0.518 of the trait variance.
Theoretically, the sum of heritability and covariates' effect should be less or equal than 1. But here, 0.612+0.518=1.13>1.
The code is as below:

trait height
cov age^1,2#sex
polygenic

Do you have any idea about this?
Feb 26, 2020  12:02 AM | Peter Kochunov
Hi,
This is easy to explain. The two variances represent different pool.

Say a trait has a variance of 100%. In the first step you regress the variance explained by fixed factors e.g. age and sex. Some of this variance is genetic and some of it is environmental but together it explains 61% of the trait variance. The residual 39% of the variance goes into the additive genetic modeling. 
Out of that variance 52% is being explained by the additive genetic factors. Therefore, the total variance explained by the additive genetics is .39*.52 or about 20% and remaining 19% are enviromental. 

So together this will add:

61% fixed factor variance + 20% additive genetic + 19% enviromental factors =100