help > black background connectome ring
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts
Display:
Results per page:
Aug 3, 2020  10:08 AM | Paul Summers
black background connectome ring
Hi Alfonso,

noted when playing the scales...
   the inactive connections in the connectome ring aren't set to background, but to a to a pale grey - this works fine for the default or white background (some may prefer not to see them at all by having them set to background / transparent, but for me its inoccuous enough not to interfere)
   When the background is set to black however, it creates a white "star" effect.
    Could / should the inactive connections have their grey-level scale inverted when the background is set to black?

Paul S
Aug 3, 2020  11:08 AM | Alfonso Nieto-Castanon - Boston University
RE: black background connectome ring
Hi Paul,

Not sure how exactly are you changing the background, but if you do that from the "Options.Advanced display options" menu (visible after clicking on the 'graphic options' button), or alternatively using a conn_display(gcf,'display.backgroundcolor',[r g b]) command, the color of the lines in those plots and everything else will adapt accordingly to the new background color (or at least it "should" do so, please let me know otherwise!)

Best
Alfonso
Originally posted by Paul Summers:
Hi Alfonso,

the inactive connections in the connectome ring aren't set to background, but to a to a pale grey - this works fine for the default or white background (some may prefer not to see them at all by having them set to background / transparent, but for me its inoccuous enough not to interfere)
    Could / should the inactive connections have their grey-level scale inverted when the background is set to black?

Paul S
Aug 4, 2020  09:08 PM | Paul Summers
Hi Alfonso,

I hadn't noticed that the Graphic Options button brings up menus at the top - thanks (I was convinced it was broken).

To change the background and prepare for printing I have been clicking on the "Ring Display" Icon under Display ampersand  Print heading, which brings up a window called "matrix display". Then under Effects choosing  background  and selecting   white / light / dark / black.
With white or light the inactive connections have a light enough value to not show up (much). When setting to dark / black however, they still have a light colour and dominate the display.

When I follow your suggestion via Graphic options, the inactive connections indeed are obscured on when setting a black (0.01, 0.01, 0.01) background
on the main Results explorer display.

But!
if I then choose ring display, the initial display has the inactive connections in black over the default light background.
Setting the background (via Effects / background / black) the background changes to black and the inactive connections stay black.
Unfortunately the names of the connected ROIs then disappear, while the unconnected names are visible in white.

seems like something gets out of synch when choosing ring display.

Paul

Originally posted by Alfonso Nieto-Castanon:
Hi Paul,

Not sure how exactly are you changing the background, but if you do that from the "Options.Advanced display options" menu (visible after clicking on the 'graphic options' button), or alternatively using a conn_display(gcf,'display.backgroundcolor',[r g b]) command, the color of the lines in those plots and everything else will adapt accordingly to the new background color (or at least it "should" do so, please let me know otherwise!)

Best
Alfonso
Hi Alfonso,

Paul S
Aug 12, 2020  11:08 PM | Alfonso Nieto-Castanon - Boston University
Hi Paul,
You are totally right, thanks for catching that! Please try the attached modification to the latest patch and let me know if that seems to fix this issue
Thanks again!
Alfonso

Hi Alfonso,

I hadn't noticed that the Graphic Options button brings up menus at the top - thanks (I was convinced it was broken).

To change the background and prepare for printing I have been clicking on the "Ring Display" Icon under Display ampersand  Print heading, which brings up a window called "matrix display". Then under Effects choosing  background  and selecting   white / light / dark / black.
With white or light the inactive connections have a light enough value to not show up (much). When setting to dark / black however, they still have a light colour and dominate the display.

When I follow your suggestion via Graphic options, the inactive connections indeed are obscured on when setting a black (0.01, 0.01, 0.01) background
on the main Results explorer display.

But!
if I then choose ring display, the initial display has the inactive connections in black over the default light background.
Setting the background (via Effects / background / black) the background changes to black and the inactive connections stay black.
Unfortunately the names of the connected ROIs then disappear, while the unconnected names are visible in white.

seems like something gets out of synch when choosing ring display.

Paul

Originally posted by Alfonso Nieto-Castanon:
Hi Paul,

Best
Alfonso
Hi Alfonso,

Paul S
Attachment: conn_displayroi.m