help > MEG, fMRI and DTI connectome analysis
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts
Display:
Results per page:
Aug 24, 2020  12:08 AM | Patrick McCunn
MEG, fMRI and DTI connectome analysis
Hello

I'm admittedly new to NBS and connectome analysis as a whole, so I apologize if this is a poor question. I also reviewed the manual and have not see the answer available.

I have produced MEG, fMRI, and DTI connectomes based on the AAL atlas for each subject and have run basic t-tests to compare two groups (controlled versus injured) using each modality separately and adding age as a covariate. We see changes in MEG but not in fMRI and DTI. 

I'm now looking for suggestions on ways to analyze all three modalities simultaneously to explore group differences. Ie use all three connectomes as inputs for each subject. Is NBS capable of this and if so how would this be achieved in this software package? 

Thank You
Patrick
Aug 24, 2020  09:08 AM | Andrew Zalesky
RE: MEG, fMRI and DTI connectome analysis
Hi Patrick, 

Including connectivity matrices from three different modalities in the same statistical model could be very challenging because the fMRI matrices would be scaled and distributed quite differently to the DTI matrices. So you would need to carefully normalize/rescale all the matrices first. If this is possible, you could use a repeated measures design to incorporate the three modalities. 

However, my advice would probably be to analyse the three modalities separately and then investigate potential commonalities after the statistical analysis. 

I guess it really depends on your aim. 

Be careful about using the AAL for fMRI because several AAL regions encroach into white matter, potentially resulting in signal contamination. 

Andrew
Originally posted by Patrick McCunn:
Hello

I'm admittedly new to NBS and connectome analysis as a whole, so I apologize if this is a poor question. I also reviewed the manual and have not see the answer available.

I have produced MEG, fMRI, and DTI connectomes based on the AAL atlas for each subject and have run basic t-tests to compare two groups (controlled versus injured) using each modality separately and adding age as a covariate. We see changes in MEG but not in fMRI and DTI. 

I'm now looking for suggestions on ways to analyze all three modalities simultaneously to explore group differences. Ie use all three connectomes as inputs for each subject. Is NBS capable of this and if so how would this be achieved in this software package? 

Thank You
Patrick