questions > nifti to dicoms
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts
Display:
Results per page:
Mar 23, 2022  07:03 PM | bionerd
nifti to dicoms
Can anyone please suggest a robust tool/software that coverts a nifty file to raw dicoms?

Thank you!
Mar 23, 2022  07:03 PM | Chris Rorden
RE: nifti to dicoms
If you want to convert a NIfTI image to a generic DICOM (with the 'OT' other modality) you could try a tool like
  https://github.com/biolab-unige/nifti2dicom
If you want to save a NIfTI as a 'MR' modality DICOM, it will be tricky as there are required (type 1) DICOM elements that are not stored in the NIfTI. You will also want to ensure that proper unique IDs are created.

Different manufacturers interpret DICOM differently, and it is a very complex standard. It is easy to create DICOMs that are supported by many tools, but hard to ensure it will be supported by all DICOM conformant tools.
Mar 23, 2022  08:03 PM | bionerd
Originally posted by Chris Rorden:
If you want to convert a NIfTI image to a generic DICOM (with the 'OT' other modality) you could try a tool like
  https://github.com/biolab-unige/nifti2dicom
If you want to save a NIfTI as a 'MR' modality DICOM, it will be tricky as there are required (type 1) DICOM elements that are not stored in the NIfTI. You will also want to ensure that proper unique IDs are created.

Different manufacturers interpret DICOM differently, and it is a very complex standard. It is easy to create DICOMs that are supported by many tools, but hard to ensure it will be supported by all DICOM conformant tools.

Thank you so much, that helps in understanding this problem a bit better!
I indeed wish to save the NIfTI as an MR-modality DICOM.

I came across an online converter tool but am unsure of its integrity or accuracy w.r.t. the results I am getting. I ran it on a nifti file based on 53 b-values and got 53 folders with various numbers of dicoms in each (I think the reason for this is that they are enhanced dicoms with many slices per dicoms in the first place). Anyway, as you mentioned, DICOM is a complex standard.

This is the online converter tool (https://www.onlineconverter.com/nifti-to...), if you have any thoughts on it, I would be glad to know them.

Thank you!
Mar 31, 2022  07:03 PM | bionerd
Hello,

1) You had previously referenced a paper to me on DTI [Citation: Rajagopalan V, Jiang Z, Stojanovic-Radic J, Yue GH, Pioro EP, et al. (2017) EA Basic Introduction to Diffusion Tensor Imaging Mathematics and Image Processing Steps. Brain Disord Ther 6: 229. doi: 10.4172/2168-975X.1000229] and it really helped me understand the basics of the math behind it.

However, I did have a pressing question: Is DTI an imaging technique or a modeling technique?

2) I was reading about how images get reoriented during conversion from acquisition form (dicoms) to perhaps a software-viewer form (like nifti) [https://people.cas.sc.edu/rorden/mricron/dcm2nii.html]. Does this mean the images one is analysing using these softwares is inferior to raw data and in doing so (converting them from dicom to nifti format), it poses the risk of flipping images and hence hampering the study?

3) If you have more such helpful resources that could enable me to understand the basics of this stuff, I'd hugely appreciate it. 
I apologise for my lengthy questions in advance, I am just starting out in this field and think that I could learn a lot from whatever interactions I have with experts like you.

Thank you.
Mar 31, 2022  08:03 PM | Chris Rorden
The imaging method is referred to as Diffusion Weighted Imaging (DWI). A DWI scan with at least 6 different directions can be modeled by a tensor. For this reason, people often refer to DWI scans with very few directions as DWI (e.g. used for clinical Trace images), while a DWI scan with many directions is often referred to as DTI. Indeed, some manufacturers provide different scanner licenses for low direction DWI and high direct scans that they refer to as DTI. As directions increase, one can model with more complex mathematical models, e.g. DSI.
Apr 1, 2022  04:04 PM | bionerd

> Thank you, that helps in understanding!