help > Cubic interpolation
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts
Display:
Results per page:
Dec 15, 2022  02:12 PM | m rad
Cubic interpolation
Hello! Is it possible to do cubic interpolation in MRIcrogL?

Thanks!
Milena
Dec 15, 2022  02:12 PM | Chris Rorden
RE: Cubic interpolation
Yes, MRIcroGL 1.2 uses the cubic interpolation algorithm described here:
  https://github.com/DannyRuijters/CubicInterpolationWebGL
This is enabled by moving the `Q`uality slider in the Render panel to either the left extreme or right extreme. You can use the preference option to set a default setting for this slider. There are six settings:

0 = adaptive: poorest during interactions, best during pauses
 1 = poorest
 2 = poor
 3 = medium
 4 = better
 5 = best (cubic interpolation)

The computational cost for cubic interpolation is high, so I would only use it if you have a dedicated graphics card or are working with low resolution images.
Dec 16, 2022  03:12 PM | m rad
Thank you so much for your quick reply! I tried playing with that "Q" feature, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference in my image. Am I doing something wrong? I'm replying with the pictures where that setting is on low vs high.
Attachment: LowQ.png
Dec 16, 2022  03:12 PM | m rad
Here's the second image.
Attachment: HighQ.png
Dec 16, 2022  03:12 PM | Chris Rorden
The lowest Q setting (0) is adaptive: it uses poor quality when you interact with the image and high quality when there is a pause. The other Q settings are not adaptive, going from poor (but faster) to good (but slower). The differences are pretty subtle for inherently smooth images like the one you show here. Try the Scripting/Templates/ct_head script and notice the impact on the high gradient regions of the skull.
Dec 16, 2022  06:12 PM | m rad
I see - so compared to when the  Q is at 2 or 3, at Q=5, the skull looks smoother (at least that's the difference I'm noticing with that sample script). Right?