devel > meaning of coordinates
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts
Display:
Results per page:
Jan 12, 2011  02:01 PM | Richard Reynolds
meaning of coordinates
Hi All,

I kept forgetting to bring this up, but I think we are missing an important piece of the transformation matrices, that being what the coordinates actually mean. For example (-24, -6, -16) might mean the left amygdala in Talairach space. Or it could mean the right parahippocampal gyrus, even in Talairach space. Does the -24 mean 24L? 24R? 24I?

It would be sufficient (and probably prudent) to say that we follow the coordinate definition from NIfTI, which describes coordinates as being L->R (negative to positive), P->A (- to +), I->S (- to +). Following this convention, the (-24, -6, -16) example would mean 24L, 6P, 16I, which would be in the left amygdala (when using the Talairach template space).

Does that seem reasonable to everyone? If so, it should be in the documentation. Maybe it is and I have just completely missed it. If so, uh, never mind...

- rick
Jan 12, 2011  03:01 PM | John Harwell
RE: meaning of coordinates
Rick,

You are correct, we never explicitly stated the orientations (and the units?) of the coordinates and this is important. In fact, this was recently pointed out during the CIFTI discussions. CIFTI will follow the NIFTI convention and so should GIFTI.

If there is no disagreement, I will update the GIFTI document to state that positive X is right, positive Y is anterior, and positive Z is superior. In addition, the units of the coordinates are millimeters.

John
Jan 12, 2011  05:01 PM | Richard Reynolds
Thanks, John.

- rick
Jan 14, 2011  10:01 PM | John Harwell
An updated version of the GIFTI Surface Format document has been uploaded. Section 13.1 has been updated to indicate the orientations of coordinates and that coordinates are in millimeters.