open-discussion > PSOM in MAC
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts
Display:
Results per page:
Jun 16, 2012  06:06 AM | Zaixu Cui
PSOM in MAC
Dear Pierre:

These days, I am testing PANDA in MAC OS.

It worked well in Ubuntu, Centos, Fedora.

However, when it works in MAC, something strange.

PIPE_History.txt file is not created and the message as listed is created all the time:

I could not find any log file. .....
I could not fine any log file .......

Of course, my path of path_logs is '...../logs/'.

Do you have any ideas.

Many people asked me to make PANDA available in MAC, so I must accomplish it as soon as possible.

Thanks for you help very much.

Best Regards
Attachment: results.tar.gz
Jun 17, 2012  02:06 AM | Pierre Bellec
RE: PSOM in MAC
Dear Zaixu,

PSOM is supposed to work fine on MAC with Matlab. See the page test:
http://code.google.com/p/psom/wiki/TestPsom

There are however two caveats. First, you are using a development version of PSOM which hasn't been tested with MAC (because you need the PIPE_feeds.txt file which is an experimental feature). If there is an issue with that version it would be very helpful to know. Could you then run a "psom_config" and copy paste the results, this is more informative than the logs for configuration issues. Second, the 'batch' mode does not work by default on MAC. The 'background' mode does, but you may have changed for batch because it keeps running after you unlog. See the test page for a fix of the batch mode.

Please do not hesitate to post again if that does not solve your issue.

Best,

Pierre
Jun 17, 2012  02:06 AM | Zaixu Cui
Dear pierre:

Thanks for your kind help.

I have tracked the program and found the reason.

I set mode_pipeline_manager as 'batch', then PSOM will use 'at' command to call matlab in background.

However, 'at' command cannot work well in this MAC.

So I changed your code, use '. ..sh &' to replace 'at' command.
Then, PANDA can work now.

I have some questions:
1) What's the difference between 'at' command and '.', I changed your code, is there any problem will occur.

2) PSOM have a mode named 'background', what's the difference between 'background' and 'batch'. If I set mode_pipeline_manager as 'background', then PSOM will not call 'at' command.  
Of course, PANDA has two conditions: opt.mode = qsub & opt.mode = batch. Can I set mode_pipeline_manager as 'background' for these two conditions?

Thanks very much !

Best Regards

Zaixu
Jun 17, 2012  03:06 AM | Pierre Bellec
The manual change you did is pretty much what "background" does, with a number of minor differences (like multi-platform issues if I remember correctly). You can run both the pipeline and the pipeline manager in 'background' mode. However, as background does not give protection against unlog, there is no real benefit to running the pipeline manager in the background. You can use the 'session' mode in this case. 

If you want to get a 'batch'-like behaviour, you can use the "screen" command in a terminal (I'm not 100% sure it works on MAC as it does on Linux, but I believe it does). If you don't know the "screen" command I highly recommend reading the documentation, it's the best 30 mns you'll spend. 
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/screen.1.html

Best,

Pierre

PS: it is possible to fix the batch mode on MAC, see the (*) note at the bottom of the test page
http://code.google.com/p/psom/wiki/TestPsom
Jun 17, 2012  05:06 AM | Zaixu Cui
Dear Pierre:

I think fixing batch mode is better.

I execute 'sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.atrun.plist'.

Then PANDA works well in MAC.

I'll use this method.

Thanks very much.

Best Regards

Zaixu