open-discussion > Using NITRC data with Spot instances on AWS
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts
Display:
Results per page:
Dec 5, 2017  10:12 AM | mchiu
Using NITRC data with Spot instances on AWS
Hi,

Does anyone know how to create a spot instance on AWS with the NITRC Computational AMI?

Configuring and using on-demand instances has been really straightforward thanks to the wiki page1, but when I try to make a spot instance, I have two main issues: 1) There's no NITRC option for the AMI selection menu, and when I try to search for it, there are no results 2a) when I try to access the instance via public DNS, my requests keep timing out 2b) when I try to access the instance via SSH, I get the error message that 'the resource is temporarily unavailable'
I suspect that my connection issues are because I didn't choose the security options correctly, so I'll try different configurations. If I can connect to the non-NITRC spot instance, I'll be able to transfer the s3 humanconnectome data from an on-demand instance and download FSL, but I wanted to see whether I've missed something.
Thanks!
Dec 18, 2017  10:12 AM | NITRC Moderator
RE: Using NITRC data with Spot instances on AWS
Hi,

We'll look into how to get the NITRC-CE to appear as a Community option; until then the NITRC-CE AMI ID can be found at https://www.nitrc.org/plugins/mwiki/inde... (which I gather you did find).

I can't reproduce the connection issues you report. NITRC-CE has a default security group defined for all its services that you might want to verify is active, but for your case you're not even getting port 22. NITRC-CE can also take a while to spin up completely (five minutes or so isn't unusual in my experience).

Did you figure this out since you posted, or can you give me more information to help you diagnose the problem?

Christian
Feb 15, 2019  06:02 AM | NITRC Moderator
RE: Using NITRC data with Spot instances on AWS
With our latest release of NITRC-CE, instances are available when searching for "NITRC" when creating spot requests.