help > Using CONN preprocessed and denoised data to do ICA in GIFT
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts
Display:
Results per page:
Jan 20, 2018  10:01 PM | Behnaz Jarrahi
Using CONN preprocessed and denoised data to do ICA in GIFT
Dear CONN users,

I successfully preprocessed and denoised my resting-state data in CONN. But when I try to import these preprocessed and denoised data (i.e., niftiDATA*_Condition000.nii) to GIFT to run ICA, I keep getting the following error at the very beginning (when GIFT tries to create a brain mask from the first files of each subject):

Group ICA Error Information:

Error using icatb_createMask (line 176)
No voxels found. Error in creating Mask

I was wondering if this is due to changing the global BOLD signal or averaging BOLD signals during the denoising process (ie,"no significant voxels" issue raised in previous posts about importing results to SPM). 

In GIFT, the first couple of steps are :

1) Creating mask file from functional data
2) Performing data intensity normalization 
3) PCA Type : Expectation Maximization 

Has anyone used the denoised CONN data in GIFT to run ICA successfully?
Any help is highly appreciated!
Oct 18, 2019  10:10 PM | Yiting Huang - MGH
RE: Using CONN preprocessed and denoised data to do ICA in GIFT
Same issue, have you found the solutions yet??
Thanks in advance!
Dec 3, 2020  02:12 PM | Merle Hoenig
Hello,

did you find a solution for the below-mentioned problem?

We've been trying to run spatial ICA in GIFT using denoised fMRI data (niftiDATA*_Condition000.nii) from CONN, but we keep receiving this error message:

Is there an easy fix to this problem?

Best,
Merle
Dec 3, 2020  10:12 PM | Alfonso Nieto-Castanon - Boston University
Hi Merle,

I believe this may be related to an issue which was already addressed in release 19b. When using any of the more recent versions of CONN (19b or above) the new denoised functional data will maintain the average/anatomical information of the original functional data, so that it is more compatible with several software packages which rely on the average BOLD signal to estimate a reasonable brainmask from the functional data.

(note: in these newer versions, the denoised functional data will be stored in the same directory as your original functional data and prepended with the letter 'd', instead of using the previous niftiDATA*.nii convention for these files)

Hope this helps
Alfonso
Originally posted by Merle Hoenig:
Hello,

did you find a solution for the below-mentioned problem?

We've been trying to run spatial ICA in GIFT using denoised fMRI data (niftiDATA*_Condition000.nii) from CONN, but we keep receiving this error message:

Is there an easy fix to this problem?

Best,
Merle
Feb 6, 2024  03:02 PM | silvia de francesco

Dear Alfonso,

We are using CONN v.21a, but denoised functional data are not maintaining the average information of the original functional data, voxels are in a different range values, also negative values are in the denoised image. Moreover, the denoised functional data are not stored in the same directory as the original functional data prepending with the letter 'd', but already exists the niftiDATA*.nii .

Is it correct?

Thank you

Silvia