questions > dcm2niix and slice timing
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts
Display:
Results per page:
Feb 27, 2018  09:02 PM | Amanda Rodrigue - Yale
dcm2niix and slice timing
Hello,
Under recommendations from FSL I was told that dcm2niix would give me a json file with information about slice timing, however, when I use the -b option I get a json file and it looks mostly like the example but there is no slice timing information. Am I missing an option in my dcm2niix command? 

./dcm2niix -o ../build -b y /Volumes/Seagate_Backup/GOBS_DTI/study1/EH0109/scans/10-DIFFUSION_HighRes/resources/DICOM/files

Thanks!
Amanda
Feb 28, 2018  12:02 PM | Chris Rorden
RE: dcm2niix and slice timing
  • Please make sure you are using the latest version (v1.0.20171215) -Michael Harms has done a lot to extend BIDS information for Siemens datasetshttps://github.com/rordenlab/dcm...
  • I suspect the issue is that your data does not come from a Siemens MRI system running B11-E11 software. Slice timing information is not stored in the DICOM data for Philips and GE systems, and therefore you will need to get this information from the scanner console.
  • If you are using a Siemens MRI system, there is an outside chance that the vital proprietary Siemens CSA header was stripped from the DICOM images by a PACS system (e.g. it was filtered through an anonymization protocol that removed this information). In this case, you may be able to get this information from getting your DICOM images direct from the scanner console.
Feb 28, 2018  01:02 PM | Amanda Rodrigue - Yale
This is definitely data from a SIEMENS scanner and it looks like I'm using the most recent version "ConversionSoftwareVersion": "v1.0.20171215 (OpenJPEG build) Clang8.1.0" although the link you provided just brings me to a blank page. These scans are rather old and it may not be possible to to get the required info from the scanner console, in that case is there no hope of recovering this information?

Also when viewing the DICOM with DICOMBrowser it does have a line that reads "(0029,0010) Private Creator Data Element Keep SIEMENS CSA HEADER" does that mean that it is still there and hasn't been removed?
Mar 1, 2018  02:03 AM | Chris Rorden
Long story short, this archival dataset does not contain precise slice time information. 

Thanks for sharing your BIDS file with me. The crucial bit of information is
  "ManufacturersModelName": "Trio",
  "SoftwareVersions": "syngo_MR_2004A_4VA25A"
This suggests the data comes a Trio running VA generation software from about 2004. To the best of my knowledge, A generation DICOM datasets never included slice timing data. Therefore, it is impossible for dcm2niix to extra this information.
  The sequential generations of Siemens software since about 2003 are:
   VA e.g. Trio running VA25A 
   VB e.g. Trio running VB13
   VC (specific to China) e.g. Trio in China
   VD e.g. Prisma running VD13
   VE e.g. Prisma running VE11
   XA e.g. Vida running XA10 
 Note the final number is the software stepping, with developmental releases being even and deployed releases being odd numbers, so for VB the common versions were VB11, VB13, VB15, VB15 and VB19. In general dcm2niix works well with VB through VE. The XA is a dramatically different DICOM format, and Siemens still seems to be tweaking the data included in it. At the moment, the XA format omits many of the useful fields we are used to for research data