help > Urgent Help Needed: CONN Memory Error
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts
Display:
Results per page:
Jul 13, 2018  07:07 PM | smarquez
Urgent Help Needed: CONN Memory Error
Hi,

I keep running into the issue that some back in 2014-2015 have posted about where in the second-level results step trying to access the results explorer I get an error message regarding insufficient memory (or memory fragment after long Matlab sessions). I have retried selecting fewer seeds/sources, restarting matlab, trying just about everything so far. Each time to restart this process I need to go back and re-process the first level analysis step (~20-30 mins) and then it gets about 5-7 hours into processing the second-level results until it crashes. I am using the 17.f version of Conn Toolbox. This is the first project I am using CONN for and it is all a bit new for me, but this is the first real issue I have encountered. Thank you so much in advance for all your help!

Sincerely,

Samantha

Here is the error message I am receiving:

ERROR DESCRIPTION:

Error using ==> times
Out of memory. Type HELP MEMORY for your options.

Error in ==> spm_trace at 14
C = sum(sum(A'.*B));

Error in ==> spm_reml at 141
dFdh(i, 1) = -spm_trace(PQ(i},U)*N/2;

Error in ==> spm_est_non_sphericity at 269
[V,h] = spm_reml(Cy, xX.X,xVi.Vi);

Error in ==> spm_spm at 421
[xVi, am] = spm_est_non_sphericity(SPM);

Error in ==> conn_process at 4235
SPM=spm_spm(SPM);

Error in ==> conn_process at 52
case 'results_voxel', [varargout{1:nargout}]=conn_process(16,varargin{:});

Error in ==> conn at 8594
conn_process('results_voxel','readsingle','seed-to-voxel');

Error in ==> conn_menumanager at 120

feval(CONN_MM.MENU{n0}.callback{n1}{1},CONN_MM.MENU.callback{n1}{2:end});

CONN v.17.f
SPM12 +DEM Fieldmap LST MEEGtools TFCE cat12
Matlab v.2010b
Storage: 4749.1Gb available

spm @ /opt/spm12
Warning: Contents.m overloaded by version in folder
/opt/spm12/toolbox/cat12
conn @ opt/conn/conn17f

SUGGESTIONS:
Insufficient memory, or memory fragmentation after long Matlab sessions. Try restarting matlab and attempting this procedure again.
Jul 14, 2018  04:07 AM | Alfonso Nieto-Castanon - McGovern Institute for Brain Research. MIT
RE: Urgent Help Needed: CONN Memory Error
Hi Samantha,

My guess is that you may be possibly trying to include all of the seeds/sources simultaneously into a single analysis (e.g. selecting all of the entries in the 'seeds/sources' list), rather than performing an analysis for an individual seed or network.

If that is the case then, within the Second-level Results tab, simply select the seed you are interested in in the 'seeds/sources' list (e.g. networks.DefaultMode.MPFC) and then click on 'results explorer' to look at the connectivity with that seed across your subjects/conditions. The second-level analysis should take just a few seconds or minutes at most to run (definitely not hours).

If, on the other hand, you just want to repeat the same analysis separately across all seeds/sources, you can do that from the Tools.Run.SecondLevelResults menu. 

If this is not the case, please send me your conn_*.mat file and I will take a quick look to see if I can better diagnose what might be going on here.

Hope this helps
Alfonso
Originally posted by smarquez:
Hi,

I keep running into the issue that some back in 2014-2015 have posted about where in the second-level results step trying to access the results explorer I get an error message regarding insufficient memory (or memory fragment after long Matlab sessions). I have retried selecting fewer seeds/sources, restarting matlab, trying just about everything so far. Each time to restart this process I need to go back and re-process the first level analysis step (~20-30 mins) and then it gets about 5-7 hours into processing the second-level results until it crashes. I am using the 17.f version of Conn Toolbox. This is the first project I am using CONN for and it is all a bit new for me, but this is the first real issue I have encountered. Thank you so much in advance for all your help!

Sincerely,

Samantha

Here is the error message I am receiving:

ERROR DESCRIPTION:

Error using ==> times
Out of memory. Type HELP MEMORY for your options.

Error in ==> spm_trace at 14
C = sum(sum(A'.*B));

Error in ==> spm_reml at 141
dFdh(i, 1) = -spm_trace(PQ(i},U)*N/2;

Error in ==> spm_est_non_sphericity at 269
[V,h] = spm_reml(Cy, xX.X,xVi.Vi);

Error in ==> spm_spm at 421
[xVi, am] = spm_est_non_sphericity(SPM);

Error in ==> conn_process at 4235
SPM=spm_spm(SPM);

Error in ==> conn_process at 52
case 'results_voxel', [varargout{1:nargout}]=conn_process(16,varargin{:});

Error in ==> conn at 8594
conn_process('results_voxel','readsingle','seed-to-voxel');

Error in ==> conn_menumanager at 120

feval(CONN_MM.MENU{n0}.callback{n1}{1},CONN_MM.MENU.callback{n1}{2:end});

CONN v.17.f
SPM12 +DEM Fieldmap LST MEEGtools TFCE cat12
Matlab v.2010b
Storage: 4749.1Gb available

spm @ /opt/spm12
Warning: Contents.m overloaded by version in folder
/opt/spm12/toolbox/cat12
conn @ opt/conn/conn17f

SUGGESTIONS:
Insufficient memory, or memory fragmentation after long Matlab sessions. Try restarting matlab and attempting this procedure again.