[Mrtrix-discussion] Crossing-fibers gray matter CSD

Donald Tournier d.tournier at brain.org.au
Mon Apr 13 18:20:18 PDT 2009

Hi Wim,

I don't see anything wrong with your preprocessing, everything seems
OK. The only thing I might recommend is to drop the lmax to 6 for the
estimate_response step - at b~1200, there really won't be much in the
l=8 term. But then, the response looks OK, the encoding is fine, so I
don't think it would make any difference to your results.

The only thing I can recommend is to have a look at the (very sparse!)
literature on cortical tracking with multi-fibre algorithms. The only
references I can think of are a few ISMRM 2005 abstracts by the MGH
group, in particular pages 393, 583 & 584. There are a few subtle
remarks about their observation of 'horizontal' fibres within the
cortex, but nothing particularly overt... You might also find
something of interest in their NeuroImage 41: 1267-1277 (2008) paper.
There might be other published work on the topic, but I haven't come
across them yet.

In short, I can't see anything wrong with the analysis as such, but
your results are so strange-looking that I would be very reluctant to
trust them without some robust corroborating evidence. The effect (in
terms of the consistent 'horizontal' fibre orientations within the
cortex) could very well be real, although the long range connections
that you show are probably an artefact of the tracking (the algorithm
simply doesn't know when to stop).

You might also think about trying it with a higher b-value. Around
b~3000 should give you a much crisper response function, and hence
more reliable fibre orientations.

Not sure all this helps you much, but I'm afraid that's as much as I can do...
Cheers,

Donald.