[Mrtrix-discussion] transform and normalise tracks

Donald Tournier d.tournier at brain.org.au
Wed Jan 12 23:37:05 PST 2011

Hi Ping,

I'm guessing your issues are due to the fact that ANALYZE does not store the
transformation matrix (i.e. the directions of the axes and location of the
origin with respect to real/scanner space), whereas NIfTI does. This is one
of the reasons I urge everyone to stay well away from ANALYZE format images
(the other being that left/right ordering is ill-defined).

If you convert a NIfTI image with a proper transformation matrix to ANALYZE,
that information is lost. I guess the overlay function in FSLView operates
on a voxel-by-voxel basis - i.e. that the transformation information is
ignored, and only voxel coordinates within the imaging volume are taken into
account. This is not the case for MRtrix: each voxel is displayed in the
correct location, according both to its voxel coordinate within the imaging
volume, and the transformation information. Note that with ANALYZE images,
MRtrix will insert a default identity transform (no rotation, origin in the
middle of the dataset). That should explain the mismatch in the overlay. If
you want to double-check this, use 'mrinfo' on both images, and see if the
transforms differ.

On the other hand, I have no idea why the TDI maps are so different. I'm
assuming you have to supply your own gradient encoding, and that you're
using the same encoding file in both cases? Other than strange effects due
to different gradient encodings, I have no idea what the issue might be. One
possibility is that you're using a gradient table suitable for analysis
using FSL, where the gradient directions are supplied with respect to the
image axes. Since MRtrix assumes that they are supplied with respect to
real/scanner space, if there is a significant rotation component in the
transformation, the tracking will be affected. Might explain why the
tracking is OK with ANALYZE (the transform has been discarded - no rotation)
but not with NIfTI. Although there doesn't seem to be a huge rotation
between them judging from your screenshot...

On a final note, if you have access to the DICOM data, why not use MRtrix to
do the conversion for you? If you convert to MRtrix image format (.mif), you
will have the correct transform information, the DW gradient table will be
inserted in the header, and you shouldn't have any problems of this kind.

Hope that sort things out for you.
Cheers,

Donald.