[Mrtrix-discussion] Question about eddy current correction

Donald Tournier d.tournier at brain.org.au
Tue Feb 21 16:06:57 PST 2012

Hi Bonnie,

I would agree with your colleague that these data probably don't need
eddy-current correction, for two reasons. First, these data were acquired
on a Siemens Trio, where the only diffusion sequence available is an
eddy-current compensating double spin-echo sequence. This type of sequence
is designed to minimise these problems, and typically brings
misregistration problems down to the subvoxel level. In my experience,
there are no obvious eddy-current artefacts on these types of data.
Obviously, things would be different if the data had been acquired using a
single spin-echo sequence, which is much more prone to these issues.

Second, the approaches available to perform eddy-current correction simply
don't work with such high b-value, low SNR, high contrast images. In my
experience and that of several collaborators, using these methods
introduces far more corruption into the data than was initially present. We
are actively working on methods that would handle these types of data more
reliably, but it will be some time before they are ready for release. In
the meantime, best to steer clear of eddy-current correction methods for
your data...

Hope that helps,

Donald.

--
Jacques-Donald Tournier (PhD)
Brain Research Institute, Melbourne, Australia