[Mrtrix-discussion] disp_profile reports "unexpected number of SH coefficients"

Bryce Wilkins brycewil at usc.edu
Fri Nov 30 14:43:04 PST 2012

Dear mrTrix community,

I am currently running mrTrix 0.2.10 (mrtrix-0.2.10_2012-02-10) on Linux
and repeatedly encounter the error message:

*disp_profile: unexpected number of SH coefficients - assuming response
function*

when I run the following command to plot the estimated single fiber
response function:

*disp_profile -response sf_response.txt*

I have followed the documentation, specifically "Data pre-processing"
section, where it describes how to generate a single-fiber mask, and
call *estimate_response* to determine the SH coefficients for the single
fiber.  I edited a custom single-fiber mask, based on FA levels, and
ensured that all voxels in the mask were in white matter regions, and
not be voxels of erroneous FA values (e.g. FA > 1).

Examples from two of my *sf_response.txt* files are:

1862.36 -570.495 84.5122 -8.29821 0.629007

1296.21 -909.403 383.255 -116.241 28.1946

These values seem consistent with what is described in the
documentation.  So, I find it very odd that I am receiving the above
error message.  Furthermore, even though the error appears, the actual
SH profile displayed changes (i.e. it doesn't seem to assume and then
load a default response function as the error states).

Can anyone explain what is causing the *disp_profile* error above?  May
be the outputting of the error message is the error itself?  Can anyone
check *disp_profile -response* using the values I have listed above.
What are your outcomes?

Thank-you researchers!
Bryce