[Mrtrix-discussion] Slice collapse problems

Watts, Richard Richard.Watts at vtmednet.org
Wed Nov 6 12:07:36 PST 2013

Hi Dorian -

Yes, you are quite correct, that the halfscan factor is Philips terminology for partial Fourier.  I agree that it is painful to push the TE out a bit, but if you get rid of a serious confound, then it's probably worth it.

There is an interesting discussion about the choice of B0, gradient strength, TE, and signal strength for the Human Connectome Project in
Setsompop, K., R. Kimmlingen, E. Eberlein, T. Witzel, J. Cohen-Adad, J. A. McNab, B. Keil, M. D. Tisdall, P. Hoecht, P. Dietz, S. F. Cauley, V. Tountcheva, V. Matschl, V. H. Lenz, K. Heberlein, A. Potthast, H. Thein, J. Van Horn, A. Toga, F. Schmitt, D. Lehne, B. R. Rosen, V. Wedeen and L. L. Wald (2013). "Pushing the limits of in vivo diffusion MRI for the Human Connectome Project." Neuroimage.

With an estimate T2 for WM of 65ms, the relative signal strength should be approximately exp(-4ms/65ms) = 94%.  On the other hand, every little helps.  I've included some comments on the effects of halfscan below.

For the Human Connectome Project (UW St Louis), and they are getting b=3000 s/mm2 with TE=89.5ms using 3/4 "Phase partial Fourier" and a SENSE (GRAPPA) factor of two on a souped up Siemens Connectome Skyra.  On our Philips Achieva we were closer to TE=100ms on a similar protocol.  They get a big boost in throughput using multiband to get 3 slices at once.  We're hoping that Philips will implement multiband for our almost-upgraded 3T Achieva with dStream and 32-channel head coil (which will have similar hardware to the HCP).

There are methods out there to detect and correct for these dropouts.  For example, Susumu Mori's group just published
"Image Corruption Detection in Diffusion Tensor Imaging for Post-Processing and Real-Time Monitoring" in PLOS one
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0049764

On the other hand, it is usually better to avoid artifacts in the first place, rather than trying to correct for them later.  Just my 2c-worth!

Cheers -

Richard Watts
University of Vermont

On Nov 6, 2013, at 11:46 AM, Dorian P. <alb.net at gmail.com<mailto:alb.net at gmail.com>>