[Mrtrix-discussion] MRview MRTrix 3 CSD

Robert Smith robert.smith at florey.edu.au
Sun Jun 1 23:32:44 PDT 2014

Hi Erik

Just as FODs calculated using MRtrix 0.2 will appear slightly incorrect
when viewed in the new version, any metrics derived from them will also be
slightly incorrect. Furthermore, the nature and severity of the error will
vary as a function of orientation.

If you have not yet seen it, there's a discussion on this topic on the
relevant wiki page
<https://github.com/jdtournier/mrtrix3/wiki/Orthonormal-SH-basis> (there's
a couple of other pages there that might be worth having a look at, and the
wiki should hopefully expand over time). If you first run shbasis on your
data with either the -force_new or -force_native option, then the FODs will
be interpreted correctly by any command within the new software. Note that
this does not mean that the FODs will be exactly as they would be if they
were calculated in the new MRtrix command dwi2fod; only that they will be
correctly interpreted as they were produced by the 0.2 version command.

An important point regarding the shbasis command is that it won't ruin your
data if you accidentally run it on the same file multiple times; on
subsequent attempts it will detect that the image data are already stored
in the new orthonormal basis, and therefore will not modify the data any
further.

Best regards
Rob

--

*Robert Smith, Ph.D*
Research Officer, Imaging Division

The Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health
Melbourne Brain Centre - Austin Campus
245 Burgundy Street
Heidelberg Vic 3084
Ph: +61 3 9035 7128