[Mrtrix-discussion] dwi2response fsl error

Robert Smith robert.smith at florey.edu.au
Wed Jun 18 22:55:13 PDT 2014

Hi Romain (and all),

Thanks for giving me access to you data so that I could investigate the
problem.

So as Donald said previously, there's been a number of issues arise
regarding the dwi2response command in the new MRtrix. This program is
almost identical to the method described in this paper
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1053811913008367> (with
a few tweaks), which is recommended reading for anyone interested in
spherical deconvolution. We are looking into alternative ways to estimate
the response function, but these are not likely to appear overnight.

I have tweaked a couple of the default parameter values in dwi2response,
which should prevent the program from running for long periods of time. I
had disabled certain mechanisms for terminating the optimisation, having
found them unnecessary for my own data, but clearly they are necessary in
other circumstances.

However, it is important to consider the relationship between the data you
pass to this process, and the parameters you select. Of particular note is
the maximum harmonic degree used in the response function estimation. By
convention, if you do not specify *lmax* explicitly, MRtrix will select the
largest *lmax* that is supported by your image data, based on the number of
unique diffusion sensitisation directions in the b-value shell being used.
Exclusively, those who have reported problems with dwi2response have been
using data with a low b-value and a large number of directions. This poses
two problems. Firstly, a large number of directions will result in
automatic selection of a large *lmax*, which makes both the initial SH
transformation and CSD considerably more computationally expensive.
Secondly, at low b-values, there is simply *no power present* in these
higher harmonic orders; the magnitude of diffusion sensitisation is not
adequate to introduce such high-frequency components into the measured
signal profile. I would highly recommend reading this article
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/nbm.3017/abstract> to see the
evidence of why this is the case.

So, for anyone using the dwi2response command, I have the following
recommendations:

   - Update your MRtrix3 install using "git pull; ./build"; this will
   change a couple of the default parameters in dwi2response and hopefully
   prevent very long execution times.
   - Use the -mask option! You're not going to use any voxels outside the
   brain to determine the single-fibre response function, so no point in
   processing them.
   - Set the -lmax option manually based on *both *the number of directions
   in the b-value shell you are using* and* the b-value of that shell.
   Particularly if you get the "ERROR: matrix must be positive definite"
   error: this means your *lmax* is *waaay* too high.

Normally I'd say "happy tracking", but I guess in this case it should be
"happy RF estimation"!

Rob

--

*Robert Smith, Ph.D*
Research Officer, Imaging Division

The Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health
Melbourne Brain Centre - Austin Campus
245 Burgundy Street
Heidelberg Vic 3084
Ph: +61 3 9035 7128