[Mrtrix-discussion] AFD per fixel

David Raffelt d.raffelt at brain.org.au
Thu Jun 26 17:09:00 PDT 2014

Hi Luis,

One thing I probably should include in the documentation is that the AFD in
this command is actually computed as the FOD fixel *integral* (as explained
in Rob's SIFT paper). The afdconnectivity command parses each streamline,
and identifies which fixels are tangent to the streamline. After all fixels
have been identified it *sums* the AFD (integral) over all fixels, then
normalises by mean streamline length.

To answer your questions:

a) Yes afdconnectivity will only include fixels that are tangent to your
streamlines and will ignore fixels from unrelated crossing fibres. There is
no angular threshold for assigning fixels to the streamline tangent. If a
streamline passes through a voxel, then the fixel with the closest
orientation to the streamline tangent will be flagged as belonging to the
tract.  Assuming you have used the same FOD image for tractography and AFD
calculations then this should not be an issue.

b) If the streamlines are neatly aligned then only a single fixel will be
included. However sometimes with probabilistic tracking they branch off in
different directions in crossing fibre regions. In this case multiple
fixels within a single voxel may be flagged as belonging to the
tract-of-interest. Note we don't just sum the AFD within a voxel, the
afdconnectivity measure is the sum of AFD from *all* fixels in the tract of
interest. This is then normalised by mean streamline length to get a
measure related to fibre *bundle* cross-sectional area.  If we were to
average the AFD then morphological differences in fibre bundle width will
not contribute to the connectivity of a bundle.  We normalise by mean
streamline length since subject differences in fibre bundle *length* are
unlikely to influence "connectivity".

c) I'm not entirely sure how the tckmap AFD stuff is implemented. Rob can
you comment on this one?

d) afdconnectivity inputs the FOD image, segments the fixels and computes
the AFD integral for you (you need to input the FOD image, not a AFD fixel
image). Although I admit inputting a fixel image makes more sense, however
afdconnectivity was coded before we had the mtrix sparse image format. We
should probably change this in the future.

Just a final comment. I coded afdconnectivity as a fairly adhoc method of
computing tract-of-interest AFD for situations where ACT and SIFT could not
be used. If you have EPI correction, then a more robust AFD-based
connectivity measure would be to do whole brain tracking, SIFT, then count
the streamlines between your regions of interest.

Cheers,
Dave

--
*David Raffelt (PhD)*
Post Doctoral Fellow

The Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health
Melbourne Brain Centre - Austin Campus
245 Burgundy Street
Heidelberg Vic 3084
Ph: +61 3 9035 7024