[Mrtrix-discussion] tckgen: effect of signal amplitude and streamline length distribution

Robert Smith robert.smith at florey.edu.au
Wed Jan 21 15:09:43 PST 2015

Hi Ulrike (and all),

a) Under standard usage scenarios, the size of the ODF glyphs shouldn't
vary massively. This is because if the amplitude of the raw DWI amplitude
is scaled up or down, the estimated response function will scale
accordingly, such that deconvolution of a single-fibre voxel should always
give an integral of 1.0 or thereabouts. So there would need to be something
unusual about the derivation of your response function, or scaling of your
image subsequent to RF estimation, for CSD to produce a result like that.
The only case I can think of where large ODFs come naturally is if you've
used tckmap with the -tod option; those need to be scaled explicitly. You
could scale your SH images manually using mrcalc before opening them in the
viewer, but personally I'd go back to the raw data and figure out where the
scaling discrepancy is coming from.

The primary effect that the scaling will have is the default 0.1 threshold
for tracking. Having massive FOD amplitudes is comparable to setting that
threshold to zero; so you'll get a fraction more streamline orientation
dispersion, and streamlines will be able to track small noisy FOD lobes. I
would suggest that this is probably what's causing those inferior-superior
streamlines in the CC. It won't have a tremendous effect on SIFT
(everything will just scale accordingly), though it will affect the
thresholds used during the FOD segmentation process, so noisy FOD lobes
will get included in processing.

b) Looks like you've reproduced my result
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1053811914008155> quite
nicely. There's a lot of reasons why this seems an entirely plausible
attribute of the white matter to me. Long connections give less bandwidth
per unit volume than short ones, so for a fixed volume (like the brain) it
makes more sense to have lots of short connections. Or if two distant
regions require a structural connection, having that connection perform a
'stop-over' along the way provides increased brain connectivity complexity
with little metabolic penalty. Indeed in the reference
<http://sirl.stanford.edu/newlm/images/9/91/SchuzBraitenberg.pdf> I used to
draw the post-mortem comparison in that paper, they light-heartedly
compared this property to the Zipf Law
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zipf%27s_law> of linguistics. Although the
dispersion of probabilistic streamlines will contribute to a bias toward
shorter connections, I doubt it's the major factor at play here. I also did
everything I could to ensure that SIFT does not have an internal bias
toward retaining or rejecting streamlines of any particular length; it
comes purely from the reconstruction and the image data.

So next time you see somebody using 25mm as a tracking minimum length, show
them that histogram!

(P.S. If you're using ACT, and doing whole-brain tracking, there's no need
to provide a tracking mask using the -mask option; in fact you're better
off not, in case the mask causes streamlines to terminate before they
ideally should)

Rob

--

*Robert Smith, Ph.D*
Research Officer, Imaging Division

The Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health
Melbourne Brain Centre - Austin Campus
245 Burgundy Street
Heidelberg Vic 3084
Ph: +61 3 9035 7128