[Camino-users] How to derive the noise variance

Ed Gronenschild ed.gronenschild at np.unimaas.nl
Thu Nov 3 01:11:39 PDT 2011

Hi,

I'm sorry that I did not correctly formulated my question.
There are a few things I want to clarify in relation to
using RESTORE:

1.
The man page on estimatesnr tells that the noise standard
deviation can be estimated as

sigma = sqrt( 2.0 / ( 4.0 - pi ) ) * stddev( bgnd signal).

In my case: stddev( bgnd signal) = 1.10, so that would
result in sigma = 1.68

Is this the value I should pass to RESTORE?

2.
I've downloaded the DIG ActiveAX data set as illustrated
in the DTI tutorial. I've derived the sttdev of the
bgnd signal and found a value of 107. According to
the formula above this would result in a sigma of 162.
However, in the tutorial you are using sigma = 200.

3.
In addition, it's confusing that the man pages on RESTORE
are telling that one should supply <noise std> as argument
whereas the tutorial on DTI says that it is the noise
VARIANCE (see chapter 9.3).

My first experience with RESTORE is that the results are
dependent on the supplied value of the noise. So I would
appreciate if you could advice me on a valid method
to derive a reliable estimate of the noise.

Cheers,
Ed