[Camino-users] How to derive the noise variance

Philip A Cook cookpa at mail.med.upenn.edu
Thu Nov 17 08:05:11 PST 2011

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. In answer to your questions,

1.

Yes, this formula is valid if the noise is Rician distributed, however as Dietrich et al [JMRI 26:376-385 (2007)] showed, this is often not the case. You have to be careful doing it this way, the background can often become structured in various ways.

2, and 3:

The noise standard deviation should be used, I have updated the tutorial to remove the reference to the variance. Sorry about that.

Many people have found that a larger estimate of \sigma (compared to what estimatesnr says) improves results. RESTORE classifies outliers as anything with a residual more than 3 * \sigma. The constant 3 can't be modified at run time but the estimate of \sigma can be increased to give the same effect. This won't affect the regression algorithm that computes the DT, because that uses constant weights as a first pass, and the Geman–McClure M-estimator (derived purely from the residuals) after that.

Another problem is that the noise can be spatially varying. I usually run estimatesnr with a few ROIs in major white matter structures around the brain, and take the average.