[Mrtrix-discussion] MRstats Specific to the Corticospinal Tract

Donald Tournier d.tournier at brain.org.au
Thu Jul 5 16:59:55 PDT 2012

Hi Kirles,

Luis is right that the TDI images shouldn't be regarded as quantitative at
this stage - hopefully we'll be able to come up with a more quantitative
variant in the future. That said, since you want to do these statistics,
there are many ways to solve your problem - assuming I understand it
correctly.

First off, I'm not sure why you want to use ImageJ at all for this. From
what you say, it sounds like what you're doing is thresholding the CST TDI
at a specific intensity and writing out a binary mask - this is what the MRtrix
'threshold' command<http://www.brain.org.au/software/mrtrix/commands/threshold.html>is
for. Besides, I have a vague recollection that the last time someone
here tried to use ImageJ, the image transform wasn't preserved so that the
images were no longer aligned in real space - not a huge problem since
mrstats doesn't use that information, and besides things may have changed
since then anyway.

The next thing is as Luis suggested, there is a -template option for
tracks2prob<http://www.brain.org.au/software/mrtrix/commands/tracks2prob.html>that
will produce a TDI in exact alignment with the template image
supplied. So you can generate your whole-brain TDI using:

$ tracks2prob tracks.tck -vox X TDI.mif

to get a high resolution image, and your ROI using:

$ tracks2prob CST.tck -template TDI.mif TDI_CST.mif

to guarantee alignment for use in mrstats, after having thresholded your
image to create a binary mask:

$ threshold TDI_CST.mif -abs N TDI_CST_mask.mif
$ mrstats TDI.mif -mask TDI_CST_mask.mif

Alternatively, you can regrid one image to match the other using the
mrtransform
command <http://www.brain.org.au/software/mrtrix/commands/mrtransform.html>,
again using the -template option. That said, the tracks2prob route is the
better option since it will avoid interpolation errors inherent in
regridding.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,

Donald.

--
Jacques-Donald Tournier (PhD)
Brain Research Institute, Melbourne, Australia