help > [Github wiki based] Building Vaa3d on Ubuntu
Feb 7, 2016  09:02 PM | Ajayrama Kumaraswamy
[Github wiki based] Building Vaa3d on Ubuntu
Dear Hanchuan and Vaa3d team

I am trying to build Vaa3d on Ubuntu using the instructions on the Github wiki.

I cloned the two repositories and created the symbolic links. I put the provided Qt-4.7.3 in /usr/local and added the export line in .profile and restarted the system. Somehow, upon restart,  a /usr/bin appears before /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.7.3/bin in the environment variable 'PATH', which makes '/usr/bin/qmake' the default. I cannot remove the qmake which has been installed through Ubuntu repositories as it would break many other applications. I got around this by running 'source ~/.profile' before running 'build.linux -j4' in the directory 'v3d_external'. This gave me the following error messages:

Project MESSAGE: CONFIG=lex yacc warn_on debug uic resources qt warn_on release incremental link_prl def_files_disabled exceptions no_mocdepend release stl qt_no_framework -j4 warn_off thread
Project MESSAGE: CONFIG=lex yacc warn_on debug uic resources qt warn_on release incremental link_prl def_files_disabled exceptions no_mocdepend release stl qt_no_framework -j4 warn_off thread use_experimental_features
Makefile:1745: warning: overriding commands for target 'moc_V3Dsubclasses.cpp'
Makefile:1710: warning: ignoring old commands for target 'moc_V3Dsubclasses.cpp'
/usr/bin/ld: ../common_lib/lib_unix64/libhdf5.a(H5PL.c.o): undefined reference to symbol 'dlclose@@GLIBC_2.2.5'
//lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [vaa3d] Error 1
cp: cannot stat 'vaa3d': No such file or directory
build_plugindemo.sh: 18: [: -j4: unexpected operator
build_plugindemo.sh: 20: [: -j4: unexpected operator
build_plugindemo.sh: 22: build_plugindemo.sh: Bad substitution
cp: cannot stat 'v3d/plugins/*': No such file or directory
build_plugindemo.sh: 18: [: -j4: unexpected operator
build_plugindemo.sh: 20: [: -j4: unexpected operator
build_plugindemo.sh: 22: build_plugindemo.sh: Bad substitution
cp: cannot stat 'v3d/plugins/*': No such file or directory
./build.redhat: 125: ./build.redhat: ./vaa3d: not found

I also tried to build it with the QT that I installed through Ubuntu repositories (Qt v4.8.6, qmake 2.01a). Here are some notes. I hope these can help you fix the build/make files so that they use the natively installed QT:

1. In file v3d_external/v3d_main/v3d/v3d_essential.pro, line 161/162, you are trying to initialize QTINST_SHARED_FOLDER for including arthurwidgets.h and shared.pri. On my system, I had to install the package 'qt4-demos' to get these files and they were found in '/usr/lib/qt4/demos/shared'.
2.  On my system the command 'qmake -query "QT_INSTALL_PREFIX"' returns '\usr'. I think you have to appropriately make changes while defining QT_DIR, SHARED_FOLDER, etc in v3d_external/v3d_main/v3d/v3d_essential.pro, line 105-166.

I got the same error as above, when trying to compile vaa3d with the natively installed Qt as well.

Thank you.

Sincerely
Ajay

PS: I tried to search the error shown and found some forums discussing similar errors. I don't have much experience with these things, so couldn't understand much. Here they are, maybe you can make some sense:
1. https://github.com/megous/megatools/issu...
2. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19901...

Threaded View

TitleAuthorDate
[Github wiki based] Building Vaa3d on Ubuntu
Ajayrama Kumaraswamy Feb 7, 2016
Ajayrama Kumaraswamy Feb 21, 2016
Zhi Zhou Feb 21, 2016
Ajayrama Kumaraswamy Feb 9, 2016
Zhi Zhou Feb 11, 2016
Hanchuan Peng Feb 8, 2016
Xiaoxiao Liu Feb 8, 2016
Xiaoxiao Liu Feb 8, 2016