help > RE: How to use "age" as covariates?
May 18, 2014  05:05 AM | Alfonso Nieto-Castanon - Boston University
RE: How to use "age" as covariates?
Hi Yifei,

Some thoughts on your questions below
Best
Alfonso
Originally posted by Yifei Zhang:
If I want to do the group comparison between patient and control groups for the same regression (Functional connectivity (small-world measurements)~ All(intercept)+A+gender+B), but to check the association between A and the small-world measurement(A as predictor). I am not sure if I did it the right way as follows:

1) Define the 2nd-level covariates: Patient(1 for patients, 0 for controls), Control(1 for controls, 0 for patients), A_patient (A values for Patients, 0 for controls), A_control (A values for controls, 0 for patients), Gender and B.
2) a) select all of the covariates above in the 2nd-level analysis window and use [0 0 1 -1 0 0] as contrast.
    b) select Patient, Control, A(a new covariate does't separate to two groups), gender and B, and use the contrast of [1 -1 1 0 0].
I am not sure which one of the two definitions is the right one.
3) check the result in "Graph theory results explorer", try to use different network thresholds of cost like 0.3-0.5 (is there any suggestion on the range of this threshold for the analysis between HC and AD groups?). Then the group comparison could be explained by checking the beta value of the significant ROIs. If the beta is positive, that means the association between A and the certain small-world measurement(e.g. Global efficiency) in the patient group is larger than in the control group?

Option 2.a is the correct one if you want to compare between the two groups the association between A and the small-world measures (the [0 0 1 -1 0 0] contrast compares the regression coefficients between the patient group and the control group). Positive values will indicate greater association in patients compared to controls, and negative values will indicate greater association in controls.

Am I right for the steps above?Additionally, if I check the results in ROI-to-ROI results explorer, I am not quite understand what's the difference between the two thresholds of p-FDR(seed-level correction) and the p-FDR(analysis-level correction) in the ROI-to-ROI connections(by intensity).

According to the No. 16 thread of the FAQ in this forum. The p-FDR(analysis-level correction) is the most strictly one for individual ROI-to-ROI connections. If we want to obtain the inference about which ROIs show significant effects we could use cases (b) and (c) methods, which are the F-test and NBS method, by defining the extent(seed- or network- level) thresholds. I don't understand how to make inferences of the p-FDR(seed-level correction) threshold in the first line(ROI-to-ROI connections(by intensity)).

p-FDR (seed-level correction) controls for false discovery rates at the level of each seed ROI (separately for each seed ROI, controlling only for multiple 'target' ROIs), while p-FDR (analysis-level correction) controls for false discovery rates at the level of the entire analysis (controlling for multiple 'source/seed' and 'target' ROIs). If you want to make inferences regarding individual connections (between pairs of ROIs) and you do not have specific source/seed a priori hypotheses, then you would need to use the p-FDR (analysis-level correction). Of course this sort of inferences are the hardest to obtain since you do not have any a priori way to limit the search space (e.g. select one or a few source ROIs of interest only). For this sort of unconstrained hypothesis (looking at the entire ROI-to-ROI connectome) it is usually more reasonable to try to obtain first less spatially-specific inferences. For example, you may make inferences regarding individual ROIs by selecting any seed-level corrected threshold (either F-test or NBS seed-level methods) combined with and connection-level threshold (not necessarily corrected). In this case you may conclude for example that some specific ROI(s) show altered connectivity, even if you may not assert exactly the specific ROI-to-ROI connections that show this effect. Last, you may also make inferences regarding individual (sub)networks of ROIs, by selecting any network-level corrected threshold (and again any connection-level threshold, not necessarily corrected). In this case  you may conclude for example that some subnetwork of ROIs show altered connectivity, even if you may not assert exactly which or how many ROIs are exactly in this network nor the specific ROI-to-ROI connections that show this effect. Even if these sort of ROI-level or network-level inferences are less spatially-specific than the original connection-level inferences, they are also considerably more sensitive (easier to find with reasonable/limited number of subjects), so they can still give you important information regarding your research questions and serve as a good starting point for reducing your search space and generate more spatially-specific hypotheses for future analyses (e.g. about individual connections).

Let me know if this clarifies.

Threaded View

TitleAuthorDate
Yifei Zhang Apr 17, 2014
apoorva safai Nov 27, 2019
Chaleece Sandberg Jun 17, 2016
Alfonso Nieto-Castanon Jun 20, 2016
Chaleece Sandberg Jun 20, 2016
Alfonso Nieto-Castanon Jun 21, 2016
Alfonso Nieto-Castanon Jun 21, 2016
Jeff Browndyke Jun 24, 2016
Alfonso Nieto-Castanon Jun 29, 2016