physio-support > No effect of denoising
Mar 19, 2021  02:03 PM | Bram Beckers - Maastricht University
No effect of denoising
Dear Lars,

I am currently using the PhysIO toolbox for denoising of 7T multi-echo data.
My goal is to compare denoising efficiency of RETROICOR to multi-echo ICA.
I therefore have a preprocessed (but uncleaned) optimally combined dataset that I want to clean using RETROICOR regressor files.
I have Siemens (VB) .puls and .resp files. I used a batch script which didn't run into any trouble. I have used the multiple regressor files in two ways:

1) as regressor file input in the SPM first level GLM. When doing this, my first level results still look very noisy (lots of clusters, most of which not in grey matter)
2) as regressor to create a confound corrected time-series in the CONN toolbox. This toolbox also creates QC figures, eg. plots of connectivity value distribution. After denoising these plots should approximate a normal distribution, but nothing really seems to change (i.e. I still see a skewed distribution in most cases).

It would seem that I am not running the PhysIO toolbox correctly, or at least in a way that it doesn't provide valid multiple regressor files.
Could you please have a look at the input&output to see what might have gone wrong?

Note that for synchronization I have also tried the nominal option and setting the relative start of acquisition at 25.7 (which I know is pretty much the same for all puls and resp files), but this didn't change the outcome of the denoising.

Many thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Bram