open-discussion > Newbie Code Commit Questions
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts
Display:
Results per page:
Sep 25, 2012  10:09 PM | Ravikiran Janardhana
Newbie Code Commit Questions
Hi all,
    I had a question related to committing new code to SPHARM-PDM, and I hope the contributors can clarify them:-

Are code commits tracked to specific bugs ? 
Usually, if something needs to be removed or added to a big code-base such as SPHARM-PDM, a bug is opened (even for a new feature) so that any changes to a file can be traced back to the bug which can be indicated in the code commit stage.

Currently, I only see status codes on a commit such as bug (BUG), enhanced version (ENH), COMP etc.

Code Review ?
What is the procedure for submitting a code review ? Do you use an external system for review or do folks send out file diffs before committing ?

Regards,
 Ravikiran
Oct 9, 2012  02:10 PM | Beatriz Paniagua
RE: Newbie Code Commit Questions
Hi Ravikiran,

There is no standarized method for code review. Developers listed in the SPHARM-PDM tool talk to each other before committing and there is usually an agreement of the utility of a piece of code before committing. Sometimes for minor changes (ENH) that is not even necessary. Please, let other senior developers know what you plan to commit.

Does it make sense?
I hope it helps!

BEATRIZ
Oct 10, 2012  01:10 AM | Ravikiran Janardhana
Thanks Beatriz,
    Since there is no standardized code review, should I open a bug and assign it to myself for the changes I'm going to make? 
I suppose this would make it much easier for fellow developers to comprehend. I can also paste a diff of the files in the bug itself (as a comment) for approval.

If this is too much of a hassle, I can send the diff in an email explaining the changes and why it is required.

Regards,
 Ravikiran
Oct 15, 2012  01:10 PM | Beatriz Paniagua
Hi Ravikiran,

I talked to the rest of the team and that works. Please go ahead and open a bug and assign it to yourself.
Thanks a lot!

BEA