open-discussion > Issues with poor quality scans
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts
Display:
Results per page:
Apr 19, 2022  07:04 PM | Alicia Hilderley
Issues with poor quality scans
I have noticed that DTIprep is less sensitive for poor quality scans (e.g., >30% bad volumes). Volumes that have visible artifacts are not flagged as bad during slice-wise checking. I am using default parameters. Should I adjust any parameters?

Thank you,
Alicia
Apr 20, 2022  05:04 PM | Martin Styner
RE: Issues with poor quality scans
Originally posted by Alicia Hilderley:
I have noticed that DTIprep is less sensitive for poor quality scans (e.g., >30% bad volumes). Volumes that have visible artifacts are not flagged as bad during slice-wise checking. I am using default parameters. Should I adjust any parameters?

Thank you,
Alicia

The thresholds are based on the variance in the data (e.g. the variance on inter-slice correlation) and thus adjusts to the image quality settings. But, you can adjust the thresholds in the protocol. Increasing thresholds will lead to more generous QC and reducing them will lead to more strict QC.

I would start with the slice-checking threshold and reduce that one such that you get the desired results for your data.

If your artifacts are more motion related and you see a slice-by-slice offset when viewing the data in a slice orthogonal to the acquisition plane, then you could also adjust the interlace thresholds

Best
Martin