open-discussion > VTK Crash during 'Bias Field Correction'
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts
Display:
Results per page:
Jun 22, 2011  07:06 PM | Mark Youngblood
VTK Crash during 'Bias Field Correction'
Hi,

I am using the latest version of BIS and VTK on a windows machine. Whenever I attempt to 'Copy Results to Image' on a 'Bias Field Correction', the program crashes with an error "VTK has encounrered a problem and needs to close". A message briefly appears in the vtkOutputWindow but quickly disappears and I am unable to see any details on the error. I have tried this correction on several different files and BIS always crashes when I attempt to apply the results.

Has anyone seen an error similar to this before?

-Mark
Jun 22, 2011  07:06 PM | Xenophon Papademetris
VTK Crash during 'Bias Field Correction'
Interesting. Which version are you using, what OS, how big are the images and how much RAM to you have?

If you just try to smooth the image does this work (Image Processing/Smooth)?

Xenios
Jun 23, 2011  01:06 PM | Mark Youngblood
RE: VTK Crash during 'Bias Field Correction'
Hi Xenophon,

Thanks for the quick response! I am using BIS 3.01 on Windows XP with 4GB of RAM. This morning I was able to capture a screenshot of the VTK error before the program crashed and it is 'Error in ...\vtkDataArrayTempalte.txx, line 137; vtkDoubleArray (xxxxxxx): Unable to allocate 37425342 elements of size..." (the rest of the message was not captured by the screen shot).

It sounds like my dataset may be too big for my current system, do you think increasing my internal memory would resolve the problem?

I was able to Smooth the image with a Filter size of 2.0.

-Mark
Jun 23, 2011  01:06 PM | Xenophon Papademetris
More RAM is not going to help much with the 32 bit version we currently provide as they only support 4GB. Try cropping your image a bit and see what happens. How big is the data?

[ Closing other running applications will also potentially help]
Jun 23, 2011  04:06 PM | Mark Youngblood
The image is ~82MB. After re-sampling the image and running Bias Field Correction with Resolution=2 (instead of the default value of 3), I was able to 'Copy results to Image' without any issues. The effects of the reduced resolution are not noticable. Hopefully I can use this process in the future to avoid problems with large image files.

Thanks for your help!