Posted By: Bennett Landman - Mar 25, 2010
Tool/Resource: JIST: Java Image Science Toolkit

Good afternoon,

I just committed a large supplemental package to JIST. This adds an option to the global preferences so save/load in a .LayoutXML format rather than .layout. By default, this option is OFF.

LayoutXML uses a hand-coded, fail-safe scheme to save/load all types. If a module is of unknown type on load, the module will be dropped. Modules are created with the CURRENTLY known set of parameters and parameter values are then specific settings are loaded for the new module. Any “extra” parameters on the disk are ignored (with a message printed to debug). Any “missing” parameters are set to their default values. This should avoid the numerous problems of class/label inconsistency when using differing versions of JIST.

This change currently represents 10,469 ADDITIONAL lines of code and several changes (mostly bug fixes) to existing code. I am sure there are bugs in the LayoutXML format. I am working to fix them. I tried VERY hard to ensure that no working code in the regular processing stream was modified. However, several “hidden” bugs were found and corrected.

Support for LayoutXML is, as yet, incomplete with not all types loading and saving. I will continue to work to improve this format and will send out another announcement once the status has improved to a point at which I would encourage testing.

I appreciate your patience in this matter. I sincerely hope that these efforts will lead to a long-term stable manner of communicating layouts and provide us the stability to move to an official 2.0 release. I have not released jars for this distribution and do not intend to do so until they are needed. Please let me know if you experience any unusual problems. Please use the bug tracker or feature request system.

Best regards,
Bennett
RSS Feed Monitor in Slack
Latest News

This news item currently has no comments.