help > Exporting thresholded connectivity maps
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts
Display:
Results per page:
Jul 3, 2019  11:07 AM | Andreas Voldstad - University of Oslo and LMU of Munich
Exporting thresholded connectivity maps
Dear CONN users,

I have been using CONN for a month and have a question.

I am doing seed-based connectivity analyses on resting state session acquired between stimulation sessions, to assess connectivity between different regions activated or deactivated by the experimental stimulation.

I would like to be able to export the connectivity maps so I can compare them to the (de)activation maps in a viewer like fsleyes.

However, I have some trouble using the "save as" when viewing the second-level results in SPM through the results explorer.

I want to view my results at voxel-level threshold p<.05 (FDR) and cluster-level thresholding at peak voxel p<.05 (FWE) or at least cluster size p<.05 (FWE), to get fairly conservative results.

It is also important for me to be able to distinguish positive and negative effects.

However, when I view the results in SPM, the available contrast is "Connectivity result", and I can choose between FWE or uncorrected. I assume this is voxel-level thresholding.

The FWE result through SPM is far more conservative than what I can see in the Results Explorer with the settings listed above, and removes most of the interesting results.

I would appreciate any help.

Sincerely,

Andreas
Psychology student
Jul 3, 2019  01:07 PM | Stephen L. - Coma Science Group, GIGA-Consciousness, Hospital & University of Liege
> Dear Andreas,
>
Indeed in SPM, the fwe thresholding is voxel-wise, which is the most
conservative option and is not available in conn results explorer, hence
the difference you witness.

It is possible to do cluster-size FWE correction in spm, by displaying the
statistics and look at the FWEc value at the very bottom of the statistics
window: this is the cluster extent you need to input in spm to get cluster
size FWE p<0.01 with voxel-wise p-uncorrected < 0.001.

Also in spm, one can only see either positive or negative correlation at a
time. The positive side is the default contrast generated by conn. For the
negative one, use -1 as the contrast instead of 1.

Lastly, if all you need is to set a very conservative threshold, you can
use in conn results explorer the non-parametric statistics with voxel-wise
p-uncorrected < 0.001 and cluster-mass p-FWE < 0.05, this is considered the
best cluster wise thresholding second to TFCE (not available in conn). I
can provide references if you need.

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Stephen

Jul 3, 2019  02:07 PM | Stephen L. - Coma Science Group, GIGA-Consciousness, Hospital & University of Liege
> Sorry typo in spm FWEc equals cluster-size p-FWE < 0.05 with voxel-wise
> p-uncorrected < 0.001
Jul 4, 2019  09:07 AM | Andreas Voldstad - University of Oslo and LMU of Munich
RE: Exporting thresholded connectivity maps
Dear Stephen,

Thank you, that is very helpful. Is there any way to view a voxel level FDR correction of the results in SPM or fsleyes?

I’m a bit uncomfortable with uncorrected voxel level threshold.

Any references would also help me out, I appreciate it!

Sincerely
Andreas Voldstad
Jul 4, 2019  10:07 AM | Andreas Voldstad - University of Oslo and LMU of Munich
Originally posted by Andreas Voldstad:
Dear Stephen,

Thank you, that is very helpful. Is there any way to view a voxel level FDR correction of the results in SPM or fsleyes?

Sincerely
Andreas Voldstad

Actually, I just figured that one out on my own!

Sincerely,

Andreas
Jul 4, 2019  08:07 PM | Stephen L. - Coma Science Group, GIGA-Consciousness, Hospital & University of Liege
Dear Andreas,

The most, or at least the more, adequate thresholds to use are dependent on both what question you investigate and what modality you use. Thus, the details that I write below are pertaining to fMRI, but would be different for PET for example (where voxel-wise FDR is very indicated).

About voxel-wise vs cluster-wise thresholding, here are my personal notes with references, please use and reproduce them as you see fit under Creative Commons v4 license:

* SPM Random Field Theory RFT is about doing topological inference, in other word cluster inference or feature level inference! Voxel-wise inference (FWE and FDR) is not enough as the signal is continuous, we cannot just say that a voxel is activated or not, we must account for the underlying signal! But we can do both: correction at voxel-level AND at cluster-level/feature-level. Hence cluster-mass FDR is as valid as cluster-mass FWE! This is just another way to control the number of false positive clusters (whereas voxel-wise FDR controls for the number of false positive voxels). To understand the problem, here is an example: a SPM with P-FDR threshold with 95 voxels in one cluster and 5 spurious voxels in 5 distinct places, it has 95% FDP rate voxel-wise, but only 16,7% cluster-wise because of 6 clusters found only one was correct! Thus regions found with voxel-wise FDR are >80% false positive, only voxels are <5% false positive, so we need to also control cluster-wise FDR to get <5% false positive regions ! Chumbley, Justin R., and Karl J. Friston. "False discovery rate revisited: FDR and topological inference using Gaussian random fields." Neuroimage 44.1 (2009): 62-70. and also Chumbley, J., Worsley, K., Flandin, G., & Friston, K. (2010). Topological FDR for neuroimaging. Neuroimage, 49(4), 3057-3064.
* Thus paradoxically, although voxel-wise FDR inference maximizes voxel spatial specificity, it lacks regional specificity! And inversely for cluster-wise inference! Thus, cluster-wise/topological inference might be better for regional studies! But then don't know what region exactly activated, only that there is a signal somewhere in that area! It depends if data is smoothed, then cluster-wise is better. Problem is distributivity aka dependence between voxels, with cluster level on rft we work again on discrete features! Also for conjunction either do same voxel-wise threshold, intersect and do clusterwise if interested in regional changes, or do min stat maps then do voxel + cluster correction! Alternative is to evaluate manually: report only the top regions with lots of voxels, not the spurious small ones!
* Comparison of thresholds families summary: peak-FWE < peak-FDR < cluster-FDR < voxel-FDR, thus peak-FDR and cluster-FDR are more conservative than voxel-FDR! Peak-FDR and cluster-FDR are both topological correction, not direct features of the signal (contrary to voxels). (Chumbley, J., Worsley, K., Flandin, G., & Friston, K. (2010). Topological FDR for neuroimaging. Neuroimage, 49(4), 3057-3064). And according to Eklund, FDR voxel-wise is worse in terms of reliability than FDR cluster-wise: «no correction < FDR voxel-wise < FDR cluster-wise < FWE cluster-wise < FWE voxel-wise» https://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/nichols/entr...
* If you want both perfect regional and voxel-wise spatial specificity, then use voxel-wise FWE. But the price to pay is a very low sensitivity!
* Topological (RFT) inference methods: peak < cluster < set in terms of sensitivity, and inversely for spatial specificity. They can all be reported if in a nested, step down fashion. Toga, A. W. (2015). Brain mapping: An encyclopedic reference. Academic Press.
* Smoothing totally messes up voxel fdr (because it creates voxel dependency), even for voxel fdp rate!! up to 50%!! so just use cluster fdr.

Cluster-level correction is also better indicated for fMRI:

* Use cluster-level correction for fMRI, and voxel-level correction for PET (maximizes sensitivity for each). Voxel-level correction is a subcase of cluster-level correction when k = 0. Friston, K. J., Holmes, A., Poline, J. B., Price, C. J., & Frith, C. D. (1996). Detecting activations in PET and fMRI: levels of inference and power. Neuroimage, 4(3), 223-235.

About non-parametric correction advantages over parametric correction, you can see the papers by Eklund et al "Cluster Failure" and "Cluster Failure Revisited".

About non-parametric cluster-mass FDR correction, which corrects both at cluster-level (size) and voxel-level (intensity) by computing the mass, here are my notes:

* Prefer to use cluster-mass (or better its generalization TFCE) + at least 800 iterations, they are validated and corrects for multiple comparison correctly! Pernet, C. R., Latinus, M., Nichols, T. E., & Rousselet, G. A. (2015). Cluster-based computational methods for mass univariate analyses of event-related brain potentials/fields: A simulation study. Journal of neuroscience methods, 250, 85-93.

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Stephen
Originally posted by Andreas Voldstad:
Dear Stephen,

Sincerely
Andreas Voldstad

Actually, I just figured that one out on my own!

Sincerely,

Andreas
Jul 4, 2019  08:07 PM | Stephen L. - Coma Science Group, GIGA-Consciousness, Hospital & University of Liege
Addendum: also don't be fooled by the voxel-level p-uncorrected < 0.001 when doing cluster-level correction, that's normal because you don't correct at the voxel-level anymore (except with cluster-mass which corrects at both but even then the voxel-level correction is the same). That's called the primary threshold or cluster defining threshold, and the value p-uncorrected < 0.001 is more formally advised by Eklund et al in Cluster Failure paper and Cluster Failure Revisited.