open-discussion > How to proceed with manual rotation as we have always done (old MRIcron fans)
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts
Display:
Results per page:
Feb 25, 2024  03:02 PM | Sara Bertagnoli
How to proceed with manual rotation as we have always done (old MRIcron fans)

Hi! So glad to have worked with NITRC tools since 2011, expecially with MRIcron. I found my OLd version 6 6 2013 that let us to rotate images following the tools : draw --> advanced --> rotate (and a little box with yaw, pitch and roll functions appears). 

I noticed that with the new versions created by this platform the rotation tool has been removed. I read in the forum a more or less similar request and in that case a concearning of Chris Rorden is that "Interpolating and reslicing data is a lossy operation". Does removing the ability to rotate have anything to do with this? 

In our studies we have always proceeded with double-blind procedures for the alignment of the templates and manual drawing rather than with automatic procedures (What we did was rotate the template to align with the patient scans, draw the VOIs, and then rirotate them). Would it be wrong to continue using the 2013 version to design a new study? How do you suggest we proceed if we aim to rotate manually? (sorry if maybe you put the rotation tool in other places instead 'Draw --> advanced' and I didn't see it, creating a long question for nothing :) )

Thank you in advance,

Bw, Sara

Feb 25, 2024  09:02 PM | Chris Rorden
RE: How to proceed with manual rotation as we have always done (old MRIcron fans)

Can I suggest you try MRIcroGL. The Import/Tools/Rotation menu item shoudl guide you. While I am glad that MRIcron remains popular and mature, active development stopped over a decade ago (to MRIcroGL and eventually to NiiVue). The code is open source, so feel free to extend it if you wish to see new features.

Apr 8, 2024  11:04 AM | Sara Bertagnoli
RE: How to proceed with manual rotation as we have always done (old MRIcron fans)

Dear Chris,

thank you very much for your message. Indeed, we tried to follow your instruction but we fail in our aim. The problem is that till now, in order to overlap various patients' lesions, we drew each single lesion in the axial slices of the normalized template given by the software. In other words we rotated (in the three dimensions, yaw, pitch and roll) the template, drew the lesion, and then re-rotated the patient's voi in order to put them in the MNI standard space and overlap among patients. As you said, this procedure is no more possible in mricron. We moved to MRIcroGL and we have watched the tutorials, but we cannot find some responses.  Can you help us?

These our questions:

• is there the possibility to rotate the standard MNI152 template or should we rotate the patient's image after importing them in the system? How?

• In case of drawing directly on the patient's image, how can we normalize its image in order to compare with other patients and atlas? Can you share instructions?

• Once we have rotated and normalised, is the procedure for drawing and saving vois the same as in mricron?

Looking forward to hearing from you at the best of your convenience, we thank you again

sara (and gratefull team)