Oct 8, 2015  02:10 PM | Alfonso Nieto-Castanon - Boston University
RE: 2x2 ANOVA setup
Hi Lars,

Some thoughts on your questions below
Best
Alfonso
Originally posted by Lars Michels:
Hi Alfonso

Great and thanks. Now, I think I know how to set up everything.

However, for PPI (is this gPPI by the way?), I do have also a control condition. This means I could add onsets/durations for them too (pre_control and post_control), right?

Yes, you can simply define the control condition explicitly in Setup.Conditions with its associated onsets/durations (I am assuming here that the control condition is not implicitly define; i.e. if you have a ABABAB design with A your task condition and B your control condition then, for PPI analyses, it is not strictly necessary to explicitly define the B condition onsets/durations)

And regarding the PPI vs. gPPI, gPPI refers to Donald's generalization of PPI when there is more than one condition of interest, which simply models all condition effects and interactions simultaneously in a single model instead of using a separate model for each condition tested (in general the gPPI model is always going to be preferable over PPI when there is more than one condition of interest, and it reduces to exactly the same as PPI when there is only one condition).

If I use the design matrix which you suggest, I can look to PPI task effect > "baseline" (which is the whole scan -> 0 – inf). This should give some strong results.

However, then I am not controlling PPI results for any confounding effect (that is why we had an fMRI control condition).

As I wrote, I am interested in both background and task connectivity

Assuming to your recent mail (see below), background connectivity can be achieved by moving task conditions to confounds. But then you wrote later on "in addition to the same 'rest' effects as you were obtaining before". I don't understand this because in one case task effects are regressed out (first analysis), whereas in the second analysis "task" is not a confound. How can this lead to the same background connectivity result for analysis 1 and 2?

The "effect of task*" effects are typically always entered in the denoising step, whether one wishes just look at the residual connectivity or one wishes to estimate task-related connectivity effects. This regression does not remove task-related connectivity differences, it only removes those connectivity differences that are directly due to a simple coactivation of two regions as a response to the task. See for example this post (http://www.nitrc.org/forum/message.php?m...) for a slightly more detailed explanation. 

What is your opinion on the Fair approach: Can we argue, it regresses out task effects but still reflects "general task engagement", since we model from 0-inf (which includes all task periods)?

Yes, for the same reasons as in the response above this regression only removes some portion of the connectivity differences (those that are simply due to coactivation as a response to the task) so the residual signal still contains task effects. In the framework of PPI, this regression removes the "main psycological" effect but it does not remove the "psychological by physiological interaction" terms (which are the ones we would typically be interested in when looking at task-related connectivity effects).

In any case, I do have to run 2 CONN analysis, I assume, one to extract background connectivity (analysis 1) and one to extract task connectivity (analysis 2), right?

I would typically have both in the same conn project, and just run those as separate first-level analyses. For example, I would create three conditions "rest", "task", and "control". Then for analysis1 I would just use weighted-GLM (and look at the "rest" or "control" conditions), and for analysis2 I would just use gPPI (and select there the "task" and "control" conditions only; I am again assuming here that you do not have an ABABAB design -see this post http://www.nitrc.org/forum/message.php?m... for some discussion of why that makes a difference). 

Hope this helps
Alfonso

Threaded View

TitleAuthorDate
Greg Book Mar 12, 2014
Alfonso Nieto-Castanon Apr 14, 2014
Victor Pando-Naude Feb 1, 2023
Amy Bouchard Mar 27, 2020
Alfonso Nieto-Castanon Mar 28, 2020
Amy Bouchard Mar 28, 2020
Bruno Baumann May 2, 2016
Lars Michels Oct 2, 2015