help > RE: ANCOVA - contrast / hypothesis testing
Dec 13, 2019  05:12 AM | Andrew Zalesky
RE: ANCOVA - contrast / hypothesis testing
Hi Athina,

The design matrix that you specify with two columns is correct. The corresponding contrast and your interpretation is also correct.

However, the three-column design matrix is incorrect. This will test for a parametric effect among the three groups. The 2nd column will test whether FC is smallest in grp1, biggest in grp 3, with FC in grp 2 sandwiched between grp 1 and 3. I am failry sure that you don't want to do this. 

If you simply want to control for the effect of diagnosis, the 2nd column should be replaced with a column of 0/1, where 1 indicates grp 1 individuals. You will then need to add an additional column of 0/1, where 1 indicates grp 2 individuals. So you would have 4 columns in total: intercept; 1's for grp 1, 0's elsewhere; 1's for grp 2, 0's elsewhere; inflammation score. Note that you do not need a column for grp 3, since this is covered by the intercept. The contrast would be [ 0 0 0 -1] and select t-test (NOT one-sample).

Happy to provide feedback on your revised design matrix.

To test for a group by inflammation interaction, you would add two additional columns to your design matrix representing the multiplication of the 2nd column x inflammation and the 3rd column by inflammation. Note that you would need a large sample size to test for such an interaction.

Before moving onto the interaction effect, I suggest that you get the simple case working first.

Andrew

Originally posted by Athina Aruldass:
Hi again Andrew

Pls ignore my first 2 questions from above (I was very confused and my brain just broke...).

For Q3 - this is the design matrix I eventually came up with :
1 0.3
1 2.2
1 0.3
1 4
1 0.9

columns : 1st - intercept, 2nd - inflammation
contrast : [0 -1] , stat test : t-test (not one sample t-test)
Hyp : testing for negative correlation between inflammation score and FC

I went on to perform this over 3 groups with this design matrix (after being warned that my initial design was rank deficient) :

1 0 0.3
1 -1 2.2
1 0 0.3
1 1 4
1 0 0.9

columns : 1st - intercept, 2nd - group with 3 levels (g1 : -1, g2 : 0, g3 : 1), 3rd - inflammation
contrast : [0 0 -1] , stat test : t-test
Hyp : testing for negative correlation between inflammation score and FC whilst controlling for group

++++++++ Questions +++++++++

1) Are the above design matrices correct ?

2) If I were to add a group*inflammation interaction column for the 3-group design would the design matrix then look like this

1 0 0.3 0
1 -1 2.2 -2.2
1 0 0.3 0
1 1 4 4
1 0 0.9 0

columns : 1st - intercept, 2nd - group with 3 levels (g1 : -1, g2 : 0, g3 : 1), 3rd - inflammation , 4th - group*inflammation
contrast : [0 0 0 -1] , stat test : t-test (not one sample)

If this is correct - what could one then infer / hypothesise for ? I quoted your reply to another query on interaction effect (with 2 groups) posted on the forum -

" The contrast [0 0 0 1] whether the the slope of the age-connectivity relationship is steeper in the group coded with 1, whereas [0 0 0 -1] will tester whether the slope is less steep.
In other words it is testing whether the age effect is stronger or weaker in one of the particular groups. "

(i) Would the above translate to my exp. (with age = inflammation) ?
(ii) Could I infer anything more specific for groups coded 0 and -1 ?
(iii) Would I have to perform a post-hoc pairwise ie. with 2 groups, interaction effect analyses ?

Please and many thanks - Athina.

Threaded View

TitleAuthorDate
Athina Aruldass Dec 6, 2019
Athina Aruldass Dec 18, 2019
Andrew Zalesky Dec 19, 2019
Athina Aruldass Jan 6, 2020
Andrew Zalesky Jan 6, 2020
Athina Aruldass Dec 10, 2019
RE: ANCOVA - contrast / hypothesis testing
Andrew Zalesky Dec 13, 2019
Athina Aruldass Dec 9, 2019