help > RE: ANCOVA - contrast / hypothesis testing
Jan 6, 2020  11:01 PM | Andrew Zalesky
RE: ANCOVA - contrast / hypothesis testing
Hi Athina,

1. The matrix in the text file is not full rank. The first column is clearly a linear combination of the second and third column. I don't think that this is a valid design matrix. One of the first three columns should be omitted - it does not matter which one.

4. Yes - removing ROIs from the network can certainly change the results. The effect of removing ROIs is difficult to predict a priori. If you remove a node the comprises the effect, this size of the subnetwork will shrink and this can potentially cause a loss of significance. If you remove a node that does not comprise the effect, this can potentially reduce the potential for large components to form as a matter of chance. 

So, it is difficult to unequivocally say that removing ROIs will result improve power.

Andrew

Originally posted by Athina Aruldass:
Hi again Andrew - many thanks for your clarification ! I do however have a couple of follow-up questions re Q1 and Q4.

Q1 - The reason I queried this was because NBS did not actually generate a rank deficient warning / error when I performed the analysis with design matrix (b). I have appended the full .txt for you to inspect. Should it actually be complaining ?

Q4 - I was thinking perhaps a change in results more from no significant network to potentially an emergent subnetwork after restricting number of ROIs - Is this a possibility following reduction in multiple comparisons ? Please correct me, I think I am not understanding the mechanics of NBS - but is the likelihood of finding a statistically significant cluster dependent at all on the size of input correlation matrices / number of individual edges ? Is the statistical testing not performed on the resultant component ie cluster with each permutation, circumventing the multiple comparisons issue entirely ? Or would it actually effect outcome if size of cluster is set to extent instead of intensity (what I have been using) ?

Please advise. Sorry and many thanks (also Happy New Year) - Athina.

Threaded View

TitleAuthorDate
Athina Aruldass Dec 6, 2019
Athina Aruldass Dec 18, 2019
Andrew Zalesky Dec 19, 2019
Athina Aruldass Jan 6, 2020
RE: ANCOVA - contrast / hypothesis testing
Andrew Zalesky Jan 6, 2020
Athina Aruldass Dec 10, 2019
Andrew Zalesky Dec 13, 2019
Athina Aruldass Dec 9, 2019
Andrew Zalesky Dec 7, 2019