help > RE: ANCOVA - contrast / hypothesis testing
Dec 18, 2019  08:12 PM | Athina Aruldass - University of Cambridge
RE: ANCOVA - contrast / hypothesis testing
Hello Andrew - thank you very much for your previous input ! Much to my dismay, I indeed have to put any further analyses on embargo (after some discussion with my Supervisor on my initial set of findings...).

I have some other questions for you now re the simple cases - mainly to gain a more understanding of what the contrast is doing -

(1) When testing for group differences (2 groups) / main group effect whilst controlling for inflammation - what is the difference between design matrices (a) and (b) below ? Are they testing for the same hypothesis ie FC is Lower in Patient group when controlling for inflammation ? Is design (a) incorrect when testing for this hypothesis - is this testing for negative correlation between FC and Group, how would you interpret this association ?

design matrix (a)
1 1 0.3
1 0 2.2
1 1 0.3
contrast : [0 -1 0] , t-test
cols : intercept ; Group - HC(0) and Pts(1) ; inflammation

design matrix (b)
1 1 0 0.3
1 0 1 2.2
1 1 0 0.3
contrast : [0 1 -1 0], t-test
cols : intercept ; HC ; Pts ; inflammation

(2) I understand that in linear model the intercept = dependent variable when explanatory variable = 0. In my ANCOVA design matrix below for example, when testing for the effect on inflammation on FC, the intercept models global mean FC when inflammation is 0 - true ? Also, with contrast notation [0 0 -1] for below - is this controlling for group AND global mean FC ?? What does setting intercept contrast to 0 denote / doing ?

1 1 0.3
1 0 2.2
1 1 0.3
cols : intercept ; Group - HC(0) and Pts(1) ; inflammation

(3) Why and when is demeaning a variable (dependent and/or explanatory) necessary for NBS ? Is demeaning here equivalent to mean centering eg. standard scoring, Fisher r-z transformation, log transformation ? My FC matrices are already r-z transformed but the inflammation index is in mg/L ie both not in comparable scale - would/ should this have any effect on output ... ?? I repeated my analyses with log-transformed inflammation - did not see any difference ie still no significant network ?

(4) I would also like to try restricting testing to specific ROIs / a functional module. Based on you explanation below to another question on the forum - you have indicated that this would reduce number of multiple comparisons. Could this then yield a different outcome compared to when inputing full connectivity matrix ? If so / not - why ?

"If a connection is 0 for all subjects, then the NBS will automatically ignore that connection during statistical testing.
In other words, if the connectivity value for a given connection is zero in all connectivity matrices, that specific connection is ignored by default and the number of multiple comparisons reduced accordingly."

Hope my queries make sense - sorry, please and many thanks again - Athina.

Threaded View

TitleAuthorDate
Athina Aruldass Dec 6, 2019
RE: ANCOVA - contrast / hypothesis testing
Athina Aruldass Dec 18, 2019
Andrew Zalesky Dec 19, 2019
Athina Aruldass Jan 6, 2020
Andrew Zalesky Jan 6, 2020
Athina Aruldass Dec 10, 2019
Andrew Zalesky Dec 13, 2019
Athina Aruldass Dec 9, 2019
Andrew Zalesky Dec 7, 2019